Public Liability Insurance

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
amber

Public Liability Insurance

Post by amber »

Hi, does anyone who rents their place in spain currently have Public Liability Insurance? The reason I ask is that in another apartment a renter, fell back on one of the plastic patio chairs and cracked his head open. This could have resulted in the landlord being sued but fortunately didnt on this occasion.

It has made me concerned in case something were to happen to a tenant in my apartment. Does anyone currently have public liability insurance and can you recommend any companies that do it?

Also, I have been told that even if you get public liablity insurance cover in spain, if you are a UK citizen and the person you rent it to is from the UK, then they can sue you in England as well.......
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Intasure offers £5 million public liablity insurance as part of its holiday home package. You just need to be a UK citizen to qualify. I'd check the small print for countries you get civil protection in but I'd be surprised if it didn't cover the UK as well as Spain.
http://www.intasure.com/holiday-home-insurance-spain/
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

Yes, it's included in my policy with Insurance for Homes Abroad but (only) to the amount of £2 million.

www.insuranceforhomesabroad.co.uk
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

It's included in our Mapfre insurance but I can't recall how much for.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Ours is with Schofields and it includes public liability.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
CSE

Post by CSE »

Amber
Yes we do have PL insurance.
Some questions are you Spanish based or do you live in the U.K.? Do you have a company (SL). We understand this type of insurance is harder to obtain if you do not.
Our insurance company is Allianz, a French company. How good they are we do not know and neither do we want to know as that means someone has had an accident.
We bought the insurance though a local (Spanish) broker.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

All of the holiday home insurances that I checked out (I seem to remember...) included public liability as standard.

Amber, if you haven't got PL as part of the package, is that because your home covered under a 'normal' insurance policy rather than a holiday home one?

If so, - if you have a fire, flood or whatever, your insurance company would probably try and wriggle out of it because you are not insured as a holiday home; you know what insurance companies are like, any possible loophole and they won't pay out.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

I have used two Spanish multihogar insurance companies - Catalana Occidente and Seguros Caja Sur and both included public liabilty as standard.
I simply increased the PL amount on the current one and paid a higher premium, because I didn't think it sufficient.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Fern :)

I Havent come across them.
Can you deal with them in English?[you know what Im like :roll:].

Has anyone had to claim on any of their policies??.

Im thinking of changing insurers, and I always think, you dont know how good they are, until youve had to claim.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

I'm afraid I had to use my best school book Spanish, Big Sis.
No claims so far, thank goodness :)
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

I was with Ocaso insurance in Spain. What a nightmare and I certainly wouldn't recommend them!

The water heater in my kitchen sprung a leak and flooded the kitchen, ruining about half my cupboards and worksurfaces. I was not there at the time and my neighbour (who speaks fairly good spanish) had to try and deal with it. Ocaso were extremely slow in dealing with the problems and each time an appointment was made, they didn't turn up. I made many calls to Madrid head office from the UK to also try and sort it out. On many occasions they denied they had my claim. After two months I had all but given up and decided to phone Ocaso in the UK. They have nothing to do with Ocaso in Spain but after a tearful phone call to a lovely young man, he said he would see what he could do for me. He then organised everything and kept phoning me with updates.

The upshot was that Ocaso would only get a carpenter in to replace the ruined units (he actually did a good job, but they don't match exactly) and replace the worksurfaces. They refused to replace the water heater which was the cause of the problem.

Needless to say I haven't renewed with them and am now insured with Intasure.