t.v. licences

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
christina

t.v. licences

Post by christina »

We have five gites in the Gers which have English satellite televisions, these television do not receive a french signal.
We understand that we have to pay a licence for each set which amounts to approximately 500 euros.
Does anyone know anything about this ?
It seems rather excessive !!! :roll:
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome to the foum, christina! :D

I don't know the answer to your question but others will.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

It's my understanding that (at least in my area, 21) the government is now incorporating the TV tax into the taxe d'habitation rather than leaving them as separate taxes. They sent around a notice of this as well as a form that you could fill out and send in if you don't have a TV and want to be exempt. I believe they're doing that because of the large number of people who just never reported their televisions and never paid the tax.

However, I'm getting this all from one letter we received, so others should chime in on this!
Brooke
christina

Post by christina »

vrooje wrote:It's my understanding that (at least in my area, 21) the government is now incorporating the TV tax into the taxe d'habitation rather than leaving them as separate taxes. They sent around a notice of this as well as a form that you could fill out and send in if you don't have a TV and want to be exempt. I believe they're doing that because of the large number of people who just never reported their televisions and never paid the tax.

However, I'm getting this all from one letter we received, so others should chime in on this!
We understand that what you say only applies to private individuals and not to gite owners with televisions in their gites.
We had heard about the incorporation of television licences into taxe d'habitation but we received an unexpected form from the local tax office requesting details of all our televisions and payment of the licences required.
On further investigation it appears that we are liable to pay on each set.
Are folks paying this ? Please advise. We have five gites so five separate licences
tansy

Post by tansy »

We had a meeting with the inspector of taxes in our office here in Carentan...the tv licence is to be declared on your tax form as you all rightly say... however if you have a house with 20 tv's you just pay the one licence, if you own 20 maison secondaires with tv's you pay one tv licence - BUT if you have 20 houses/gites that could be registered as maison secondaires BUT make you money, you pay a licence fee for each tv.....the key is if you make money on the property you pay the tv licence ...typical practical French...you make money - you pay the money!! :lol:

BUT the tax form don't have a box to tick as yet ...so DO be honest and say at the office...I think we were one of the first to say we weren't able to tick all their boxes....there was a flurry of phone calls!
enid

Post by enid »

We pay for our TV on the house tax. Yoday I received a second demand from les impôts. I have to pay directly to them for the TVs in the gites. I have two gites and must pay fro each TV - €116!!!!! Aaaagh§ So you were right Tansy and they are just getting round to billing people. I feel like taking the Tvs out.
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

What happens if the TVs are UK ones and only in the gites for playing UK DVD and videos? Do you still have to pay the tax? :?:

Loopy
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

We run chambres d hotes and i have been told that if i put a tv in each of the bedrooms then i will have to pay a higher rate for the licence, however currently nobody has been able to advise the amount
In the end we have decided not to put them in the seperate bedrooms
Nessie