Slippers?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Mountain Goat

Slippers?

Post by Mountain Goat »

When we renovated our place we used some very exotic techniques for sound proofing our wooden floors, but it's not perfect, and too late to shove in another layer.

I was in IKEA last week, and couldn't resist getting a stack of their sexy black Japanese style house slippers (made in China, of course). Easy to slip on and off, comfortable and almost giving them away (about 75p Sterling if you've got a Family Card).

I left them for 11 guests on the Saturday changeover, without comment, and they've all used them happily instead of their outdoor shoes.

Downside? Ongoing cost (they can be washed, but damn silly hand wash, so we're treating them as giveaways). Too large for kids so will have to get those slipper socks with hard(ish) soles for them. Having to go to IKEA - I got a hundred pairs though.

Advantages? Well, drastically cut down on noise. Free floor polishing..

Anyone else used them?

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

At 75p a time, I would try them in a delicate wash in your machine MG.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Great lateral thinking MG - as to the added benefit of floor polishing, perhaps you could provide them with a circuit as part of their daily exercise routine? :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Thanks, Helen, I'd been thinking of that, but I figure at such low cost I'd rather avoid worn old slippers which subsequent punters might view a bit suspiciously. Let alone the hassle of drying them - they're quite thick and absorbent.

So we'll give it a go with new freebies and see what feedback's like.

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

And I'm off to Ikea, so might investigate them.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Remember to take (or get) their family card - it's a special price for those and a whole stack of similar household stuff. Of course, that was Geneve/Lausanne Aubonne - it might vary in other stores.

MG
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Thanks for the reminder about the Family Card as we need to go there on our next trip.

I think the slippers sound like a really nice, luxurious touch - a little like when you go to those wonderfully posh Relais & Chateau hotels and you always have to pinch the slippers :lol:

I'm sure your guests will feel it's a great little gesture.

Beanie
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

You could get Vistaprint to monogram them as well? :lol:

But outdoor shoes are frowned on in many Swiss households, aren't they?

MG
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I think the slippers sound like a really nice, luxurious touch - a little like when you go to those wonderfully posh Relais & Chateau hotels and you always have to pinch the slippers
Actually MG :) as you dont intend to reuse them, couldnt you say feel free to take them home with you or whatever, might be a nice touch........ :) Theyd also know that noone else would have worn them before.

Take Carexxxxxx
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

Mountain Goat wrote: But outdoor shoes are frowned on in many Swiss households, aren't they?

MG
And German. Nearly all the French guests this have bought their own. The germans have always taken their shoes off before goin upstairs.

Its a nice touch
Nessie
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We started supplying slippers this year and they have been well used. They are felt ones and do need washing - have just realised that I have only washed them when the guests have put them in with the washing at the end of a stay. Those Ikea ones sound great - must look out for them. We provide towelling slippers for the sauna and they are always washed between uses.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Sorry, got the exchange rate the wrong way around - they're £1-50(ish) Sterling, so not such a great deal.

Name is Njuta Mules on IKEA and they appear on eBay at inflated prices. We remove the label and just leave the plastic tie.

Here's a pic (I prefer black rather than pink or blue):

MG
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Mountie - if you're thinking of making this a regular thing - you might want to consider buying in bulk - these kinds of sites offer them in packs of 100 for £165 which obviously work out cheaper than the Ikea ones:-

http://www.towels.co.uk/search.asp?searchWord=slippers

Beanie
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

15p more expensive? now I know what you mean - we rejected them as too expensive but I think they are more washable than ours.

Ours are about 8-10 Euros for 8 slippers I think, include a huge sized slipper to hang on the wall to keep them in (great for separate apartments). I have been told they can be bought more cheaply but have not yet found where.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Beanie, thanks - those look good, don't they? I can't find cheap stuff for kids, though. I was thinking of those socks with frog-type feet, though the ones I want are megabucks in our local smooth ski shop. Get the kids hooked, and the noise problem is history...

MG