to send or not to send, that is the question!

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.

Should I send this to the "No-Show"

Poll ended at Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:41 am

yes
71%
no
29%

Total votes: 28

cc

Post by cc »

HelenB wrote:At least you could then charge for one night, and perhaps get another booking for the remaining time.
The problem was that it was all last minute and if you don't take CCs a transfer can take a few days to appear even in the eurozone, then add on the to-ing and fro-ing with emails and before you know it a week has slipped by.
You don't have to write something on every thread, do you?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Paypal (ducks and runs behind the hedge)... ? Personal payment option is free of fees. Occasional use shouldn't be a problem
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

casa caleta wrote:
HelenB wrote:At least you could then charge for one night, and perhaps get another booking for the remaining time.
The problem was that it was all last minute and if you don't take CCs a transfer can take a few days to appear even in the eurozone, then add on the to-ing and fro-ing with emails and before you know it a week has slipped by.
A good reason for accepting credit cards then, cc?? :wink:
cc

Post by cc »

HelenB wrote:Paypal (ducks and runs behind the hedge)... ? Personal payment option is free of fees. Occasional use shouldn't be a problem
I read on a forum that someone receiving via PP had a completely unsubstantiated complaint made against them. PP suspended their account froze all the money in it until they had investigated the complaint. It took several weeks and the person had no access to ANY of their PP money. I know you can clear it out regularly but I don't want to use PP for that reason.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

That is always a possibility, but at least you get paid. I read a lot of things on forums too, but Paypal is still the best option I have for getting paid quickly and conveniently.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

And don't forget, you always hear more of the bad stuff about things than the good.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Why not just take credit cards?
cc

Post by cc »

la vache! wrote:Why not just take credit cards?
"I refer the honourable cow to the reply I gave earlier"
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

casa caleta wrote:
la vache! wrote:Why not just take credit cards?
"I refer the honourable cow to the reply I gave earlier"
I didn't say anything about Paypal, there are other alternatives!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I think CC might have meant this reply LV :)
A friend used to have one for her business and only paid 2% but there is so much CC fraud around that I am loathe to start taking CC bookings. As I have said before, the banks would hold us responsible for a fraudulent transaction even though we acted in good faith.
brenda

Post by brenda »

For us it just isn´t worth paying credit card charges on the low amounts that a one or two night stay deposit would be.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Sorry, I hadn't read all the thread properly. I can understand that for B&Bers it is costly to use credit cards, but if there is no other way to ensure that you don't get costly no shows, isn't it worth it? If there is such a high risk of fraud, why do so many businesses still use credit cards?
Anyway, to get back on topic, I don't think you should send the email either.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Brenda wrote:For us it just isn´t worth paying credit card charges on the low amounts that a one or two night stay deposit would be.
That is why I was suggesting Paypal only for those last minute bookings, a personal payment could be used, and it wouldn't attract any fees for either party. No need to alter your payment arrangements for other cases.