Am I missing a trick?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.

How do you send out your rental docs?

By email
76%
By snail-mail
21%
By carrier pigeon
3%

Total votes: 38

la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Giddy Goat wrote:
I have to say that I really like a bit of postal contact for the reasons already given - a chance to enclose leaflets of interest eg, plus convey the more personal touch - something handwritten, and hand held.
It is also far more environmentally friendly to do everything by email. It makes filing easier - all the booking forms are on my computer where they don't get lost and I don't need to find space for yet another file (living in bureaucratic France I've got enough of those already).
I have a places of interest pdf which I have created with photos, which I can send by email.
Personally, I get extremely irritated if I deal with any company/service where a trip to the post office is necessary for me. It takes up valuable time I don't have and on the whole (except for legal documents) there is no requirement for it in this day and age.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

la vache! wrote:Personally, I get extremely irritated if I deal with any company/service where a trip to the post office is necessary for me. It takes up valuable time I don't have and on the whole (except for legal documents) there is no requirement for it in this day and age.
That's why I'm working on an emailable booking form - as for info on places of interest, our guests also get a lot from our website, plus are pointed to relevant links. It's still nice to get a few carefully chosen leaflets, especially if you pick up on an activity that is of particular interest to a group.

That's the theory anyway - I haven't actually been well enough organised to do it as yet! :lol:

I agree about the points in favour of a primarily internet based business - perhaps a mix of the two is the best solution.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I operate exactly the same as Margaret except that I don't have a booking form I operate on an email request to book.

I haven't the time to be posting things, plus it would take at least a week to get from here to the UK, week back etc etc. I prefer to get things done, dusted and filed.

If I lived in the UK and had time to post things I think I would save that for perhaps sending out something like a home-made DVD of the place - to give people a real sense of where they're staying.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Martha

Post by Martha »

I dithered a bit about this, but ultimately decided that, since people need to print out the driving directions and maps, it would be useful for them to get them from me, nicely printed on recycled paper, and in that case, I might as well put a confirmation letter in too.

I decided against postcards for the moment, and am undecided about putting the resort brochure in with it - they are a bit wasteful. BUT most people will pick one up anyway as it's got a lot of useful numbers. If I send them one, perhaps they won't pick up ten? Hmmm.

I send an email with links to the downloadable pdf version as well as all my house notes and area guide with photos (this seems to go down very well). I tell people there is no need to print them out as they are already there but quite a lot do anyway, I know.

The most eco-friendly is definitely to do it all online, and if I had more than one place it would definitely be the only way to do it...it's a balancing act for sure.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

la vache! wrote:I'd like to get rid of the Word docs completely, does anyone know of a pdf form fill option?
The answer is "yes". It is possible to create e-mail enabled PDF files containing fields which can be completed by a recipient using Adobe Acrobat Reader and e-mailed back as a reply. The fields can be text and/or numeric or date; they can be radio buttons or check boxes or combo boxes. It is also possible to export the contents of those fields to an external database. The problem is that you need Adobe Acrobat Professional to create it all and Acrobat Professional is very expensive.
Derwent
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I make frequent use of one other tool: the fax machine. With a fax machine and a scanner, I almost never need to send anything "par escargot" (love that stamp!). The only exception is when the guest doesn't have access to a fax machine or a scanner, but that's quite rare nowadays.

One thing I have been toying with is the idea of creating a PDF contract on the fly. I've had to do it recently for another site, so I now know how to take input from a web form and merge it into a PDF document. So I think it would be quite possible to generate a contract that has all the user's information pre-filled. I'm just not quite sure about the signature at the moment.

That option (which requires coding in PHP) and Derwent's option (about which he is spot-on) are the only two ways I know of to do what you might need, LV.
Brooke
Ju

Post by Ju »

We are snail mailers too. We have dithered and have sent out a couple of forms by e-mail to late bookers, but still in general send the booking form by post.

One of the reasons is I think it gives the guests confidence that we exist and we are not a scam. I know that scammers could post too, but they would need an address which leaves a trail.

It means we have a signature saying that the guests agree to the T+Cs. And also a signature if they are paying by card.

I do however send directions and reminder notes by e-mail.

Ju
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

We use a combination of methods, as each approach has its own advantages.

To follow up on initial enquiries, we use the booking system at HolidayLets.Net to send an automated email with attached booking form and terms and conditions.

We later send, by post, a visitor travel information pack. This contains:
  • A confirmation letter;
    All the things a person might like to know about the cottage before they arrive;
    Travellers Checklist;
    Route map to the cottage;
    Detailed written directions to the cottage;
    Tourist map;
    A3 road map of the area;
    A couple of tourist info leaflets.
As a renter will want to print out much of the above info, we feel we are doing them a service by doing this for them. It does work out quite costly with all the above in a nice presentation folder, sent in a large envelope, but we have received very good feedback and think people appreciate it.

The exception is for short notice bookings, when we email a cut down version of the above in a pdf, minus the tourist info and maps.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Ju wrote: One of the reasons is I think it gives the guests confidence that we exist and we are not a scam. I know that scammers could post too, but they would need an address which leaves a trail.
I have my address on the website, people can check on google earth (despite the strategically placed cloud, there is evidence of existence) and as for card paying, no signature is required, the guest does it all on line.
I know that I would resent having to send anything by post, especially if I had to queue to find out how much postage to pay, so I don't inflict that on my customers.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It is all done by email.
Ju

Post by Ju »

la vache! wrote:
Ju wrote:
I know that I would resent having to send anything by post, especially if I had to queue to find out how much postage to pay, so I don't inflict that on my customers.
We provide an addressed envelope and we tell them how much the postage is so no queuing required. We used to provide stamps but it became difficult when we only go back to the UK once a year.

Ju
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

snail mail takes too long for me (most guests are from the UK and I'm in the US) to send it out and then wait for them to send it back because I don't consider everything fully confirmed until I have a signed contract. I email everything and require that they fax, scan or snail-mail it back to me with a signature within 7days.
enid

Post by enid »

I intend to continue to use e mail for the initial stages - it's the final bits like travel directions, reminder of facilities etc that I'm going to send by post.

BTW I went to order the snail stamp but they don't deliver to France!!! :cry:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Did you try both links Enid? (Etsy/Amazing Arts) There might even be others.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

BTW I went to order the snail stamp but they don't deliver to France!!!
I could order it for ya Enid and send it on!! :wink: