Buying a TV for a French Property

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Moliere wrote:Lucky you, LV! I tried to buy some logs at M. Bricolage yesterday, but they won't have any more until next week! Maybe I'll try Castorama tomorrow . . .

Slightly chilly Mols :wink:
Try the small ads in the local paper, or the supermarket, there is always some farmer with wood to sell...although I get mine from a registered supplier now, it is 20€ per corde cheaper than the local farmers I've always used previously so far, on the black.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

No time, m'dear, we're going back to England on Sunday, and we have loads to do! (By the way, it counts as a holiday.)

Oh well, one day . . .

Mols :cry:
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Hi LV,
but it was only 12°c outside today here!
Just switched off lucky old Arsenal, & looked at the exterior thermometer and the temp here now is 14.6c. Can't remember what it was earlier though.

A fire? You really are in danger of becoming 'girlie' :oops: 8) :wink:

Bobby
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Bobby wrote: lucky old Arsenal
Luck has nothing to do with it :wink:, just skill and spending no money on prima donna strikers. And no excuses for the fire, after all, I am a girlie, with 2 female cats who are loving it. I even put a vest on the baby tonight because it is so chilly (but don't worry, I'm not so girly as to put on the central heating).
Actually, where I live in Brittany is considerably colder than the rest of Brittany, so said the salesmen who came around a couple of weeks ago to sell me a geothermic central heating system at the small cost of 36,000€.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

la vache! wrote: Lovely to have the fire on again, though, can't wait to get out with the chainsaw again next weekend to cut wood for the guests :? and get the next 6 cordes stacked...
Yes. What fun. Spent an hour at it yesterday, managed a couple of stères. 18 to go. :roll:
I probably won't cut more than half this winter though.

How much in a corde round your way? Nobody uses cordes as a measure around here (at least, I've never heard them use it).
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Cassis wrote: How much in a corde round your way? Nobody uses cordes as a measure around here (at least, I've never heard them use it).
It's all cordes around here. This year I'm paying 160€ for oak, last year it was 180€. I get through about 6 cordes a year, that's in my woodburner, the Godin stove central heating in the farmhouse and an open fire in one of the gites. I always buy one year ahead, so will have a lot of restacking to do when next year's supply arrives in a couple of weeks :roll:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Is a corde a cubic metre? En suisse it's stères, and this year, the best stuff has shot up to SFr 139 (€88 approx.) but that's collect and stack yourself (Hornbach near Villeneuve outside Montreux) which is a German building supplies outfit causing a bit of a stir in Switzerland with its excellent prices.

MG
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Mountain Goat wrote:Is a corde a cubic metre?
No, thank goodness, if I'm paying 160€ for one! it is 3m x 1m cubed, so 3 times the volume of a stère? 88€ per stère seems very expensive, especially if it is all collect and stack. Mine is cut into 50cm and delivered, just not stacked :roll:
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

A corde varies by region, anything from 2 to 4.5 stères.

A stère is a cubic metre IF the wood is 1 metre long; but if it's cut to 50cm then a stère is just 0.8 cubic metres or thereabouts, as it can be stacked tighter.

We had 15 stères at 1m long delivered in summer (for next winter 2009-10) - currently paying 40€ a stère locally. I know it varies enormously by locality, though.

1 corde de Poitiers = 2,92 stères

1 corde de la Villedieu = 3,84 stères

1 corde de bois calin de Chatellerault = 2,06 stères

1 corde de Chaunay = 2,47 stères

1 corde de Civray = 3,11 stères

1 corde de Sommières = 3,29 stères

1 corde de la Trimouille = 4,39 stères

1 corde d'Angles = 3,15 stères

1 corde de Vouneuil = 3,15 stères

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/alain.bourr ... .htm#corde
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.