Winter Bookings

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
brenda

Winter Bookings

Post by brenda »

How are you all doing for Winter bookings?

October is very busy, then we have absolutely nothing for November - January but February is filling quickly (apart from the school half term week).
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

For us the season has now really come to an end , we have people in this weekend and bookings for next week but after that nothing. In the early years we us to get about 8 nights per month during the winter months , but that was in the heyday when english were purchasing property in the area.It normally starts for us in April, however we are running a few special weekends during the winter months but the target is really French
Nessie
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

last booking arriving tomorrow then nothing!
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

We've got a fair bit booked in for October but not much yet for later on - ours tend to be booked at short notice at this time of year.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
scaliwells

Post by scaliwells »

This is our first year and have had 5 nights this week and have got 4 nights at the end of October. We have no idea whether this is normal, due to no previous experience. Does anyone find that theme weekends are popular, such as activity breaks, mushroom hunting, pampering etc. Also when do bookings start to come in for next year for the B&B, is it too early?
www.boussais.com (english version)
www.boussais.webs.com (version francaise)
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

scaliwells wrote: Also when do bookings start to come in for next year for the B&B, is it too early?
Yes, if the past 2 years have anything to go by, previous to that we did use to get bookings 3 or 4 months before the start date , but as i say that has not been the case in the last 2 years, for us anyway. Apart from wedding parties and return guests they tend to book early, others can be a month before arrival to the night before. On ave i think this year for us its been about a month apart from a couple of bookings for August which we received in march

Ref the theme weekend we have in the past tried some offering sessions at the local spa, these did not work. This year we are offering gastronomique weekends , got our first booking for that this weekend , so will ahve to wait and see how that maps out
Nessie
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Based on previous years we expect to have only about 20-25% of our bookings for 2009 made before the end of 2008, but it'll be different for others.

October to December's not very busy for us - about 30-35% occupancy. We don't get really busy again until April. Where Easter falls makes a difference.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Would say that we generally only get 10% of our Summer bookings prior to the end of February unless, as already said, it is a wedding party or coming over for another special occasion on a certain date. Have just received an enquiry for the end of August but get the feel they are just making general enquiries rather than genuinely wanting to make a booking so far in advance. Most of this Sumers bookings have been taken about 2 months in advance with very few last minute reservations.

Winter bookings generally tend to come in further in advance for us but this year, apart from February, we have had very little interest. Maybe this is due to the fact that most of our Winter visitors are from the UK and bookings from there are well down for us.

Have changed advertising sites this year so will see what a difference - good or bad - that makes.

Good luck everyone.
enid

Post by enid »

however we are running a few special weekends during the winter months but the target is really French
Well I didn't get that weekend away I was trying to organise - my daughter made a surprise visit instead. I know you were full when we asked but I hope you would have a place for us over the winter?
brenda

Post by brenda »

Well, thats our last booking for 2008 over - nice to be able to relax now but will miss some income! No further bookings until mid-February.

Winter is usually quite a busy time for us - but mainly with UK guests so not surprised that these have dried up with the current ecomonic probloems and poor exchange rate.

Have decided to offer 4 night Winter Break package but not holding out much hope for any interest. Just hope things pick up before the start of next Summer.

Also, despite saying that I wouldn't go with them due to price, have just re-registered with Owners Direct. However, have only taken out an 8 month option to see how interest goes.

Good luck for 2009 everyone!

Brenda