For ****'* sake, why didn't you tell us?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

OK, we are going to provide extra sets of keys from now on where there are 'extra' adults. The key cutting shop is a 40 minute round trip and a long way from a car parking space and not cheap, so we are reluctant to risk having to get replacements!
(9 apartments it is - or will be when we have renovated the last 2 - and no more!).
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

The key cutting shop is a 40 minute round trip and a long way from a car parking space and not cheap
I must admit that key cutting in Spain is cheap[about half what it is in the UK]and like the others I havent had many lost[once I think]
As a matter of interest how many keys are do people have on their sets generally?? we have 6.

BTW Whenever we stay in hotels I always ask for another key, sometimes the Hotel is reluctant but I always manage to get one in the end :wink: .........
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Our guests get two sets - a master set which has a key on it for the outside store-room (for table tennis equipment, sunloungers etc,) pool cover, and the front door plus exterior shutter there. The latter only gets used if the group is away overnight or longer. These are housed on a hefty keyring. The second simply has the front door keys. It's put in the keysafe when the group is leaving.

Four seasons on, and so far, so good.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Everybody gets a front door key (fits 2 of the houses - one has food & drink, laundry, DVDs, CDs, PC and sports equipment in, the other has the library, sauna, table football and gym) and an apartment key, plus a key to the 3rd house so they can get at the indoor table tennis, darts and pool table there.

We are now trying to work out how much we can centralise in the 4th house! And how many keys everyone will need. The sauna and gym will almost certainly have to stay where they are. We are trying to simplify things! We are hoping we can have one key to fit all front doors of the houses so that they just need a front door key and an apartment key.

By the way, our electrician has come up with an option others might find interesting. We are having an entry phone at the new house where the reception will be, which will normally go through to our office and our apartment. But when we are not there (at one of the other houses, out walking/shopiing, or even out of the country) we will have an option for one of the keys on the key pad to call my mobile phone when pressed. We think this is a brilliant idea - even if we are not within reach, we can tell them where to find a key or which neighbour to go to for help.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Margaret

Why not forget the key nightmare and use mechanical combination locks, costing from £50 - £75 each? Combinations can be changed regularly and ongoing cost is zero. Ours have been in place for 3 years without a hitch. We did look at electrical versions but that was just another thing to fail (mains or battery).

MG
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We use those on doors to our own, private areas. But with 9 apartments and no fixed changeover days, we would either have to keep the combinations the same for a long time, thereby undermining the security aspect, or have to give people a new combination part way through their stay? We have considered and rejected it for those reasons. Each set of guests should only need two keys with the present system updated so that one key fits all front doors to the houses plus one apartment key. The entry phone system is for arrivals and deliveries etc.