Last minute bookings

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
debk

Post by debk »

Alan Knighting wrote:Minda,

I know it is a very slim possibility but what will you do if the potential renter just happens to be a member of this forum and reads what you have done? Could be - "oops! humble pardies"

Alan
It would be great if they belonged to this forum! Perhaps they would learn the value of honesty as they mostly lost the booking due to an unnecessary lie. (eg, the "referral") So I, for one, surely hope they are listening in. 8)
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Deb,

Actually, you are quite right.

Any embarrassment should be on the renters' side. Is there something wrong with plain old-fashioned honesty these days?

Alan
mindadowling

Post by mindadowling »

Hi Alan,

At the end of the day it's my house, surely I have the right to say who can rent my house and who can't. If their enquiry started to ring alarm bells it's because of what they wrote. Maybe they need to learn to write a better email. I hope they are members of this forum then they could learn a thing or two. You know what they say "knowledge is power" or it least it will get you a booking at my house.

An interesting point, other than the obvious scam email what signs start "alarm bells ringing" for the rest of you?
debk

Post by debk »

Nothing except that, as you put it so well, it is too often considered "old fashioned."
paolo

Post by paolo »

mindadowling wrote:An interesting point, other than the obvious scam email what signs start "alarm bells ringing" for the rest of you?
- Any email enquiry from an English-as-first-language person that starts "I am [name]"
- Any enquiry from a developing country raises an eyebrow.
- Very curt enquiries raise my hackles a little: "Availability June 1-8?" They make me think the writer lacks courtesy and is more likely to dis-respect my house. On the other hand it could just be a lack of familiarity with 'netiquette'.
- Emails that say 'We will increase your cup-size in just 14 days'.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

If they were members of the forum, surely they'd mention that instead of making up a referral! How strange. Is it possible that they know the couple by one name and you know them by another (e.g. the wife used her maiden name to communicate with you)?

The funny thing about the proverbial "alarm bells" is that I usually don't know in advance what will set them off. If they are already ringing, I sometimes don't know why -- but later it seems obvious. The hard part is listening to those intuitive messages even when you don't know why you're getting them. Most people's first reaction is to deny the value of those alarm bells, giving other people the benefit of the doubt. I say, give yourself the benefit of the doubt first.
Brooke
Ju

Post by Ju »

I know what you mean by alarm bells.

We've just had a two week booking for August cancelled. When this particular gentleman booked I was concerned. I couldn't tell you why, he was perfectly polite, but something didn't smell right. He has now cancelled, leaving us with a two week slot in peak season in our biggest property.

I hope we can let it again, but I'm certainly convinced that sometimes things don't seem right and we should listen to our intuition.

Ju
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

"what signs start "alarm bells ringing" for the rest of you?"

Bargain hunters : they care more about money than quality: greed blunts their appreciation of what really matters. They are always bad news!
Groups (other than families, who are usually super guests).

Who are the best guests?
Teachers - they leave the property in even better condition than they found it.
Lawyers - the last thing they want on a holiday is any hassle. They arrive determined to enjoy themselves - even if it rains.
Honeymooners.
Family reunions.
Most Americans & Canadians.
Come to think of it, most Australians & New Zealanders, too.
Norwegians,Irish,English,Scots,Germans: great.
Most of our guests are the best guests - we must be lucky!
Best,
Alexia.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Alarm bells for me - people who ask too many questions, and people who don't ask any questions, and don't make any comment other than the fact they want to book.

Best guests - any party with a grandmother in.

Ju
tansy

Post by tansy »

sorry - I do not agree about teachers, civil servants and Guardian readers...I had a husband & wife - one was a teacher, the other a civil servant - they did read the Guardian because I found some copies...The house was left in a most disgusting state...matched their dirty toenails in their open toed sandals...

American US Forces personnel are absolute the best guests...anyone who is in the forces will automatically get a discount with me!

The other lot I had my fingers burnt with was a barrister, his partner & his grown up children from his 1st marriage...they really did a lot of damage...he worked on some huge Government enquiry gravy train that lasted 10 years or something!

Another lot that made me fed up was a publican with 2 other couples...kept telling me before they arrived how they were silver hairs so they wouldn't be any damage.HAH!!! We're the same age and I would NEVER call myself a silver hair and certainly wouldn't have the nerve to leave the house like that!!

I love self employed folk who have a business...they've worked hard to get where they are and appreciate how hard we work.

I also have had great company directors stay.

Personnel Managers are another really great guest.

I've also had a Chef who was a perfect guest...gave me some great tips re the kitchen...I don't cook in it very often!

The Continentals really leave the house spotless.
Jo Tomkinson

Guests

Post by Jo Tomkinson »

How on earth do you all know what profession your guests are? Do you ask them on your booking forms? I haven't a clue what my guests do for a living unless I know them personally. I guess we have been pretty lucky with our guests - 99% no problems at all.

Jo
villas-apart.net
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Who are the best guests?

Those who come to enjoy themselves, clearly do so while they are here, leave my place as immaculate as they found it and return in future years.

I have never found there to be any consistent measurable difference whatever their background, nationality, race, religious belief, political belief, colour, sexual orientation, occupation or age.

I think that people will treat a good, a mediocre and a lousy property with the respect it deserves. Why should a visitor respect a property when the owner clearly does not?

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I would like to agree with this, but can't, we have some people who leave the house spotless and some who leave it a tip, it doesn't at all reflect on the general standard of the house. Some people just have different hygiene and tidiness standards I think, regardless of profession. French are the best, they always leave the house spotless, Brits are 50/50 - I've just spent 4 hours cleaning one of our houses - there were a large ratio of children to adults and I have never seen such a mess. Lots of children generally mean lots of mess. The other 2 cottages were left very clean thank goodness, so everything has been done in time for next weeks arrivals.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Sorry Alan....I think you may have a little eutopia (sic) down there...Susan I agree - hate to say it but the british are now letting the side down...I've just checked in my Liverpudlians.... one husband chewed gum with his mouth open and rolling it round his tongue the whole time, the other one I was worried his hands were going to disappear in his anorak or trip over his untied shoelace (sorry trainer)...but I have a feeling they will leave the house in a good state.

Did you have a good journey I enquired..'wuz alrit...like' was the answer!

To avoid the traffic warden giving a ticket I'm starting a new thread re cleaning & blankets... :wink:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Tansy,
Sorry Alan....I think you may have a little eutopia (sic) down there
With the EU voting going on I rather like your play on words.

Sir Thomas More in his political satire thought of (e)utopia as an ideal state of perfection. I wouldn't go that far in describing the Lot-et-Garonne or my visitors but it's not too far from the truth.

In all honesty I think that certain properties, in certain areas attract certain sorts of people. I am not in any way trying to be patronising, I think it is just a fact of life. I can honestly say that in six years I haven't had one single visitor I would not welcome back - some more readily than others.

Alan