Helping a friend? Wish I hadn't mentioned it now!

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
KathyG

Helping a friend? Wish I hadn't mentioned it now!

Post by KathyG »

I have promised a friend today that I'd sort out a listing site for them, problem is their properties are in Southern Spain, one of them a Polaris World site and until just now I didn't realise that there are hundreds and thousands of them down there and renting for next to nothing too!

I'm going to have a go at Paolo's original advice re finding the right listing site for them but does anyone have any advice/ideas in the meantime?

They use an agent down there at the moment and were told to keep May - September free as he would fill it for them, and he got them ONE week this year! Can I do any better..........? :shock: :?

The apartments both sleep 4, communal pools etc, one on the La Torre Polaris site and the other one at Manilva Beach, Duquesa.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
brenda

Post by brenda »

Friends of ours own at Polaris World - they had a shock too at the rental they can achieve!

However, they advertised themselves for the first time last year on www.spain-holiday.com and achieved 75% occupancy over the months May - October: have already got some repeat bookings for 2009 too. They were so pleased with spain-holiday that we decided to register with them 2 months ago and we already have 4 bookings for next year through them - including one in July for 16 nights in both our Guest Rooms.

Am afraid that, to guarantee getting a fair share of the market, your friends are going to have to ask a realistic price but at least they won´t be paying an agents fee.
Last edited by brenda on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Brenda

Do you mean spain.holiday or spain-holiday??
brenda

Post by brenda »

Link corrected - thanks Ros.
Last edited by brenda on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thanks Brenda :) Ive been looking for a new site as Ive dropped OD and H Lets
Looks just the job :) .........
I did consider them when I was starting off and they seemed expensive but now that other sites have increased prices they look pretty reasonable :wink:

Kathy I do well with Portside as Ive said.
Roxy has a site as well, she charges commission but only if she gets bookings of course. :wink: Id happily recommend her!!

www.spainrentalsite.com/index.php
www.costablancaholidays.eu
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

I've just checked my booking results with them, Big Sis.
2 for last year - double weeks/ two houses and one booked for next year.
Always a steady flow of interest.
Thumbs up from me too.
bilito

Post by bilito »

spain-holiday is a good site for me!
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I think Spain-Holiday are promising, I only joined end of May and didn't have much availability up to end of August but it filled my 'end of August' which has always been tricky. I have also got my first ever Xmas booking (10 days) with them.

I wanted to see if they would bring in more euro guests and sure enough the 2 bookings were from Portugal and Holland.....downside is they were both serious bargain hunters but hey ho.

Renting an apartment where there is lots of similar property isn't easy, I have had 15 weeks booked (each year) in the last couple of seasons and most I know get 4-8 maximum. Only advice I can give is to furnish better than competition / price better than competition / be prepared to negotiate / take gorgeous pics / constantly check your competition 8).....if your friends don't want to do those things then......be the cheapest by a country mile :shock:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well Katie :)
dont know about 'Helping a friend' but youve certainly helped this 'friend' as I said Ive been looking for another site to register with and Im deffo signing up for these.......thanks :wink: .
and for all the input from you others appreciate it :D
They seem pretty reasonable as well :) .......
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Thanks everyone so much!
I'll go and check out spain-holiday and Portside too but do you think they could get away with advertising on just one of those without using The Big Four?
Brenda wrote:but at least they won´t be paying an agents fee.
Well they might be......... :wink:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Brenda wrote:
but at least they won´t be paying an agents fee.
Well they might be.........
Oh Kathy you little entrepreanure...I know but itll do :wink: :D

Im not sure about none of the big 4 but the only biggie Im on is Holiday lettings........having dropped H Lets and OD.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Kathy, they could always try one of the big 4 for say 3 or 6 months (think HolidayLettings do that) to test them out, now is a good time to do it isn't it with the booking season approaching.

I didn't join Portside until end of August but haven't had any enquiries yet.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
brenda

Post by brenda »

Would think the biggest problem with Polaris World properties on the big 4 sites is the volume of similar properties already advertising there so competiton for enquiries/bookings is intense.

On sites like www.spain-holiday.com there are only about 10 so less competition and your ad would stand out more.
Last edited by brenda on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Keep the faith, Partridge, Portside were my top performers last year, matching the Big boys, bit quiet at the moment but I have one fortnight for next year with them. I have every confidence they will bring home the bacon again.
How about a short term advert on homelidays for the friends - they are one of my other top ones here in Spain ? Particularly good for July and August months.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well thanks all for telling me about Spain-Holiday I joined this morning and just got an enquiry :shock:
I havent even sent the chq off yet...........
Apparently they make you live straight away.
Hopefully it will result in a booking but even if it doesnt shows Im getting found........ :wink:
£95 was pretty reasonable as well compared to some others mind you its 125 euros :roll: so I think I got a bargain. :)