We are getting a dog I am so Excited

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Hanorah

We are getting a dog I am so Excited

Post by Hanorah »

We have been thinking of getting a dog for a long time as there is one of us at home every day looking after the children and they would absolutely love one. We both work but are off different days so share the childcare. I had been looking at getting a rescue dog but today I received a call from my dad who has a friend with a 2 year old west highland terrier. Him and his wife love the dog but he is disabled and she has developed aritithis. This meant they could not look after her properly and my dad mentioned us as he knew we were thinking about it.

We have a large garden and are near lots of parks etc so they know she will be going to a new home. I last had a dog at the age of 12 so am a bit nervous. The great thing is the dog is used to young children is house trained very friendly and well behaved. However if anyone has any good tips on how best to settle it in and to minimise her intial home sickness they would be most welcome. I have a bit of experience with dogs in my younger days and have always had an affinity with them. We always had dogs until I was 12 when my little brother developed an allergy to them and very sadly we had to let the one we had at the time (toby) move on to a new home which broke my heart.

Any dog lovers out there please give me some words of wisdom as I want to be a really great new doggy mum.

Ps her name is Mitzi and she is coming tomorrow
Always Learning
paolo

Post by paolo »

How exciting! There is an occasional poster called 'maddogwoman' who my have some good advice - that is assuming her name is a reference to her liking for dogs, rather than the fact that she is like a mad dog... :D

My children will be begging me for a dog in a couple of years I am sure, the only thing that puts me off is all those hours of walking.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm sure you will be a great new doggy mum, don't worry! Mitzi will probably not believe her luck if you have a large garden with a park nearby and children to make a fuss of her. All dogs have different personalities and it can take a little time to understand what they like best (walks, affection, food etc.) but as long as they are loved, that is the main thing. Dogs are very adaptable and if you treat them well they will respond to this. Try and get her into a routine with walks, feeding etc. to get her used to her new life. She was obviously well loved in her old home,so she won't have any insecurities which you sometimes find with rescue dogs who have been badly treated.
Good luck - but I'm sure you won't have any problems as you obviously care a lot for dogs and they can sense this!
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

Thanks so much for the support I am busy searching the web for tips but she will be loved, the children are very excited and I am very surprised they went to sleep at their normal time. I will let you know how she settles in during the coming days. She is coming with her blanket and toys and feeding dishes so I hope this will help. I will not wash her blanket for a week or so until she is used to her new surroundings. A little like babies with their favorite teddies or blankets I am sure.
Always Learning
enid

Post by enid »

I waited all my life - until I came here to France when I was 54 - to get my first dog - the delightful Sally. She really is part of our offering here and every client falls in love with her. We got her from a guy in the village who had bought her for hunting but she's too soppy fro that so he gave her to us. Happy dog parenting - it's just like kids really - love 'em give 'em clear bouindaries and feed 'em!!!!
tansy

Post by tansy »

Sorry didn't see this post until this morning...3 dogs here - 2 rescue & our Jack!

First thing is you are taking on a TERRIER - i.e. Terrorist!

You need to set boundaries from day 1...you must get a basket, some toys and bowls etc. - those are HERS - children must not play with them...she must be made to feel secure - this is her area and her things. From day one set what is a no no - i.e. no feeding at the table - whatever your standards are - where she is to sleep at night. Take her into your bedroom the first night - that is it forever!

Routine incredibly important - same routine everyday - as with food - you should never change a dog's diet - mine are on Royal Canin biscuits with Ceaser mixed in - one foil thingy between the 3 once per day with dry biscuits available all day. (Royal Canin expensive but has all the necessary vitamins etc - the Ceaser is their junk food element and makes them eat - our Jack has to be persuaded to eat! Our poodle has to watched as he loves food!!) It is better for your dog if you can feed it twice a day rather than once.

Cuddles and reassurance for the first few days - plus lots of stimulation - walks and games - our poodle looked for months at people - as if he was searching - now he doesn't bother.

You may find in six months you have a little battle - I have found this with both our 2 'new' additions - it is as if they are trying to push the boundaries at 6 months - just to see how far they can actually go! Firm but fair is our motto here.

Good luck - a dog makes all the difference in a household...just watch the children - she's coming from old folks so she won't understand children....just make sure she isn't rushed especially with hands/arms held up above the head - this is threating to a dog and could result in a snap....also never let the children snatch a toy away from her - set ground rules with BOTH dog AND children! With children before dog comes.

If I can give any help please pm me - I'd be delighted to assist.

Best wishes

Tansy
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

Well she arrived and she is lovely. She is settling in incredibly well considering. She seems to be a very relaxed and has been fantastic with the children. She was in a very social house before and was used to their grandchildren popping in and out including a 2 year old, this is a big bonus. She is a little fat as has not been getting the exercise she needed so we are taking her for lots of walks and she has the run of the garden so hopefully in a few weeks she will have lost the excess. The only problems I am having are with food. I think she has been given home cooked food and will not touch anything out of a tin. As I don't know anything about animal nutrition I need to crack this one.

She has a lovely personality and nothing seems to phase her. I have also set the boundaries as advised and have been feeding us all first and her last as I have heard this enforces the pecking order. I have also told the children and hubby no hand feeding scraps or treats from our table. She is sleeping downstairs in her bed. She doesn't bark very much only when she hears people coming to the house which helped the children take to her quickly and not be too nervous with her. She likes lots of petting and tummy rubbing etc. The previous owners said she was profressionly house trained so I am sure this is why she is being so good.

Jordan 6 is bossing her around no end with sit and stay commands and she seems to be listening. He sounds so authoritative he is scaring me (don't know where he gets it from)!! So far then so good and long may it continue. I will probably be posting in a few days saying she has turned into an absolute nightmare is sleeping in my bed and eating t-bone steaks for her tea hand fed by me.

Ps Tansy thanks for the tips I will probably be taking you up on your offer re PM over the food issue LOL
Always Learning
fee

Post by fee »

How you have you been getting on with Mitzi? I have 2 old english sheepdogs (bobtails) and have had dogs nearly all my life.

My mother has always had westies and they can certainly be a handful but are very loyal pets.

My dogs get fed later afternoon before I take them out for their second walk so they eat before we do in the evening but never had any problems. My daughters grew up with the dogs, and our youngest learnt to walk by pulling herself up on one of our previous ones.

They are basically like toddlers, need a certain amount of attention, regular food and walks and lots of sleeps. Like teenagers they get selectively deaf but you are spared the tantrums and late night taxi service!

They have enriched my children's life as they have to think of feeding the animals and letting them out instead of just slobbing out in front the tv and pretending they didn't have any homework :roll: .

Have you resolved the eating issues? Mine happily eat whatever is put in front of them - perhaps that is because there are 2 of them, and they have 2 choices, eat it or the other one does, but my mother's westie is spoilt rotten on fresh mince or chicken or caesars.
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

Hi Fee thanks for asking yes Mitzi is getting on fine. We are all settled with each other and for a westie she is very laid back and no trouble. She is getting 3 walks a day and is so tired after I guess that explains the good behaviour. She will eat Ceaser but at the beginning she turned her nose up at that too so I hope to introduce the normal brands soon. We had a few probs in the beginning she peed in the house and turned the bin over and chewed some wires when we left her for a short while on her own. We have bought an indoor crate now that she sees as her den and so we can put her in there if we need to pop out without her. She loves the kids and is incredibly patient with them and they love her in return. She is also an excellent watch dog and barks when she hears anyone approaching the house. All in all a great success and I also I read somewhere that people with pets are healthier and suffer less stress from all the walking and the relaxtion from from stroking so its all good. Thanks again.
Always Learning