Beds in Italy

For topics that are specific to Italy, please go here.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Jenroy, thanks one with no sides. Our antique bed is the same as are all others that I've seen.
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I have stayed in 4 and 5* hotels from Venice down to Palermo....I have never had a zip-together bed in any.

Most have a gap (yes...even at a 5*)...with the exception being the Excelsior in Naples that had an actual King size :-) (or, at least our room did) as do a few others...they are memorable because they seem to be rare! The beds are just heavy beds shoved together and the bedding placed tight on top...gap and all. (I actually have to admit, I like the gap ;-) and have threatened DH to do the same at home...makes sure I actually get to sleep on a "full" half of the bed ;-) )

I haven't seen and zippy things in any stores...maybe further north? I'd say, import one if possible annd avoid the headache of a hunt.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Thanks all for your input. I'll let my friends decide which of these options they go for.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
pambon

Post by pambon »

Musetta wrote: (I actually have to admit, I like the gap ;-) and have threatened DH to do the same at home...makes sure I actually get to sleep on a "full" half of the bed ;-)
I couldn't agree with you more! I inform my EL that he's overstepping the frontier when I get an arm flung over my face during the night and with one of our cats who shares the bed at night, my EL makes sure the cat is on 'my' side of the bed!!
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Musetta
I'm shocked to learn that 5 * hotels just shove the beds together, no zip or anything, if it works, why not. Must say though; with a king size bed there's little chance of someone taking more than their 1/2, you almost need a phone to communicate with the person on the other side
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !
Titti

Post by Titti »

I have just seen this thread as I have been aways for a while. I can confirm that zip and links are probabaly not available in Italy. I have never seen them in any catalogue.
Your friends can search in Pagine Gialle www.paginegialle.it under "forniture alberghiere". However, I suspect that even if they would find something it would be some horrible looking motel style implement that surely would not fit in a nice property.

Said this, yes, all our beds are single and kept together as described above. In 5 seasons, we have never had a complaint. On the contrary many of our guests have complimented us for the good quality of our bed and for how well they can sleep here.
The only problems we have had once was with an antique headboard that went loose making some noise.

Larger hotels solve the problem by having a proprotion of the rooms with single beds and the rest with matrimonial bed. To keep together the single beds when needing a matrimonial sometimes they use large elastic straps across the mattrass.
anmo51

Re: Beds in Italy

Post by anmo51 »

paolo wrote:I have friends who are setting up rental accommodation in Italy, and I have a question for Italy owners regarding beds. They say you can't get 'ziplock' beds in Italy. I am not sure this is the right name but it means you can zip together two single beds to make a seamless double. Is this true? If so, what system do you use if you want to make your beds as flexible as possible? I think they should be aiming to have two singles that can be made into doubles in each bedroom.

Hi Paolo,
there is a supplier, who produces special things for holiday homes and hotels.Almost everything from beds to special lights, to courtesy packs....
If you give me your ok, I will send the address to you. When I need something a little out of the ordinary I usually ask them.