Invasion

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Fraise

Invasion

Post by Fraise »

Hi.I went to do some online banking yesterday but as soon as I got to the site an African chant invaded my 'puter! It was just a couple of lines than were continually repeated.They would not go away .I was worried about actually accessing my details,so I didn't but the weird thing was that this chanting stayed! I went to write some e-mails and there it was! I visited another site and it came too! I decided the only way to get rid of it was to switch off completely.This I did ,and switched back a few hours later,all was well.How do these things happen?It was worrying.I visited the bank site today and luckily no repetition! :cry:
Is this usual?It has never happened to me before?Has it happened to others?
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Scary - I'm afraid I don't have an answer, but do you have virus software? It might be worth doing a system scan if you can, just to make sure.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Does the bank have ads on the site? Were you visiting any other sites at the same time as the bank site?

It could be something malicious, but it could also have been a combination ultra-annoying (but harmless) ad/page and your audio program getting stuck in a loop and still sending the chant to the speakers even after you had "closed" the page.

If re-starting cured it, I'd tend toward believing it was the latter, but even so, if the bank site was the only one you were visiting at the time, I would contact them ASAP and let them know someone could be trying to play music and perhaps do other things via their page (whether it's by ads or something else).
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

Was your radio on? Some songs these days are just a couple of lines repeated...
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Nope,no radio on.I was only on the bank site( I think).I'd never heard this weird "music" before-I'm not really sure what it was,it certainly was a chant but I haven't a clue what they were saying/singing. After all my money went to Africa courtesy of another bank (French) I am extremely wary ,this was my UK bank and had no connection with the missing money.Yes, I've got lots of anti-virus and spy stuff but maybe it all needs looking at :?
Ho hum!I just wondered if anyone else had ever had this happen?It just seemed to move in and stay put! Maybe Brooke is right, I just don't know.At least it hasn't made a reappearance after turning everything off! :shock: