Immigrants feel squeeze as Spain's boom turns to bust

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Big Sis..

Immigrants feel squeeze as Spain's boom turns to bust

Post by Big Sis.. »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... T4ad-e39zA

''MADRID (AFP) — Lured by the promise of wealth and easy employment in a booming economy, millions of immigrants poured into Spain from Latin America, eastern Europe and north Africa over the past decade.

But since the construction boom which was the engine of the country's decade-long expansion came to an abrupt end last year, employers are shedding workers at a rapid pace -- and the low-skilled jobs typically occupied by immigrants have been hit hard''
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Very true and it is already being reflected in an alarming increase in crime.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Same here. Though we've yet to see crime increase (that will come when the tourists arrive)
He used to earn 1,400 euros (1,900 dollars) a month as a construction worker, an amount that allowed him to live comfortably in Madrid and send money back to Peru to support his family.
This comment amazes me. I can't see how anyone can live on that in Madrid...you couldn't live on it here if you had rent to pay.
I do wonder how they manage; low wages, usually a couple of young children.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
brenda

Post by brenda »

No noticable increase in crime here yet - although there have been press reports of several Eastern European 'gangs' recently arrested + convicted for housebreaking - but no doubt it will rise when the season starts.

One thing we have noticed since the failure of the Construction industry is that fields + plots of land left untended for several years are suddenly back in use; Artichokes and Avocados seemingly the produce of choice. Also an increase in the number of smallholders selling produce by the roadside - used to be weekends and holidays only but now a daily site.
Adam Apple

Post by Adam Apple »

Mouse wrote:
He used to earn 1,400 euros (1,900 dollars) a month as a construction worker, an amount that allowed him to live comfortably in Madrid and send money back to Peru to support his family.
This comment amazes me. I can't see how anyone can live on that in Madrid...you couldn't live on it here if you had rent to pay.
I do wonder how they manage; low wages, usually a couple of young children.

Mouse
x
Just out of interest, how much would a studio or 1 bed flat cost to rent in Madrid?