Dining Room or Pool Table?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Michagan! Generally the shop of c*** and nothing in particular, but I got quite a nice farmhouse table for under 500€, solid oak.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Try Cocktail Scandinave if there's one near you, we got ours from there, very solid, nice quality, inexpensive. Some of it is truly nasty but they do a country-style range that's great. Ours was something daft like 350.

I don't know if they do extendable but ours seats 10 happily and 12 if you pull it out so you can use both ends. 15 is the record though that was a squash!

http://cocktail-scandinave.fr/

this is ours:

Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

I remember yopu recommending Cocktail Scandinave before Martha, trouble is they are a very very long way for us...... :roll:
Yes I know the shutters are not blue!
Blog
Twit Tweets
tansy

Post by tansy »

We bought one of those tables you see sometimes on the markets that fold out with loads of leaves... it's in our apartment as a table for 4 at the moment - even goes small enough to be half moon up against a wall - the leaves store away - when we extend it fully it I've got 20 round it - cost 350 euros.

BTW a catering tip - table cloths hide a multitude of sins... most of the banquet tables you see are just trestle & ply!
it's all a learning curve!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Blue Shutters wrote:I remember yopu recommending Cocktail Scandinave before Martha, trouble is they are a very very long way for us...... :roll:
BS, it might be worth checking what the delivery charges are - that's such a good value table!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Ju

Post by Ju »

Blue Shutters wrote: On holiday we have never used the indoor table in any of the gites we have rented for meals, alwasy outside, .
I'm guessing that you have never been on holiday with 12 people when it has rained solidly for 7 days then.

Yes it does happen, even in France. And when it does the guests get grumpy. If they can't all sit round a table they will be even grumpier.

I agree that the ideal would be to have a bigger table in the kitchen, but don't for get that if you sleep 12 plus a couple of little ones then you actually need space for 14.

Julia
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

LOL Ju, yes we have but there has always been a lean to or covered terrace that we have used..........

I started bidding on an extending farmhouse table last night, 72"x36" extends to 92" and seats 10-12... I have never managed to succeed on ebay so we will see, the extra 2 under twos will have high chairs and trays....but there will also be another table that seats 4-6 so perhaps a "children's table" is acceptable in times of awful weather?

I have ordered two x 1.2m rectangular hardwood tables and solid seating for 12 for outside (4 benches that seat two, and 4 chairs), and a 3m square iron gazebo to put over them... there is already other patio furniture there, but plastic, so the the decent furniture for near the house for main meals and the patio table etc can go up by the pool.
Blog
Twit Tweets
Ju

Post by Ju »

Blue Shutters wrote:the extra 2 under twos will have high chairs and trays....but there will also be another table that seats 4-6 so perhaps a "children's table" is acceptable in times of awful weather?
Just to be picky (far better me than your guests I think :D ) you said before that you would allow 2 under 3's. My little one is now 30 months and sits at the table with us. She wouldn't sit happily in a high chair with a tray.

A children's table would be fine, if it were in the same room, but are you always going to have children in the party? Also are you intending to let to french guests? For them being able to all sit round the table is essential.
enid

Post by enid »

We got ours in Leclerc!
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

I think I have revised downwards to two under twos then Ju......! Ours were always in highchairs at or very near the table......but they complain at 16.....

I agree, we always sit around 1 table for all meals...well whoever is in anyway, apparantly thats quite odd these days according to some of their school friends, as is dong things like baking and cooking together.... :shock:
Blog
Twit Tweets
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

I think we are sorted out!!

Chuffed to bits, I have been searching all over, and decided we would have to risk finding something suitable and affordable in a brocante. Difficult in a 2 week stay.

I walked into a house clearance place I had not seen before here. Asked about a shiny scandanavian extending table, too small. Half heartedly said "I suppose you don't have anything bigger, but it must be extending.

"I have a very big extending table just here, the sideboard and chairs are gone, but it will be too big, nobody wants it" A very solid dark oak refectory style table 5ftx3ft.......BUT it has a huge leaf that makes it over 8ft (so 230cm x 92cm) The mechanism is very easy to use, very very solid and the price...(my heart sinks £500+?)

£40......... :shock: so we have our huge table for sitting 12 that can be pushed up against a wall so the pool table can also be used. It will also be perfect for the craft workshops we plan on doing in early/late season too. As long as it's as the lady says when I drag the OH along later, RESULT. Even OH admits we can't turn down a bargain like that! It will even go in the car!
Blog
Twit Tweets
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Terrific, one headache out of the way. It's great when you see the checklist getting shorter by degrees!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be