Elton John

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Linda Freese

Elton John

Post by Linda Freese »

I went to see Elton John in concert last night at the racecourse in Mijas. It was a great show but he started 20 minutes before the scheduled time - rumour has it that he wanted to get home to the UK before 3am- and we all had to rush our half finished drinks when we heard the first few notes of Pinball Wizard!!!

The organisation was awful (not surprising really), and no one knew where they were sitting due to the seats being very badly indicated, so we just sat where we wanted! The bonus was that as it was general chaos, I managed to squeeze myself into the front row only a few feet away from the man himself!!! I felt like a teenager again!

Am going to see Rod Stewart who plays there on the 13th July - there´s no stopping me now!!! :oops:
enid

Post by enid »

Go girl!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Linda, I was a huge Elton nut when I was 13 ish (around 1971!!). He was on at our local City Hall and we got front row tickets. My sister and her friend hauled me up on stage and I gave him a great big cuddle before the security came and (literally) threw me off stage. I fainted and didn't know if it was with hitting the ground or cuddling the man himself!! :lol:

I think the last album I bought was "Goodbye Yellowbrick Road" but "Tumbleweed Connection" remains a classic for me. Although my teenage crush died off, as they do, my encylopedic knowledge of Reginald Kenneth D'wight has won me a few pub quizzes. I still have lots of very early 7" singles which would be collectable if they weren't scratched to death :(

Saw ol' Rod here in the 70's too, he used to kick footballs into the crowd :) I remember when "You wear it well" was No 1 in the charts, we'd play that record non stop for hours, ah, happy memories!
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

Soodyer, we´re obviously from the same generation as I was going to concerts in the 70´s too, although I have to admit that I was an Osmonds fan!!! :oops: In fact I´m going to a Donny Osmond concert at the Hammersmith Odeon in October however before you condemn me, I have a very good excuse as I am taking a very good friend of mine as a birthday treat as she never got to see him when we were teenagers.....a trip down memory lane :lol:
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Linda, I found one good thing about being in my 40's is I stopped apologising for any dodgy tastes!! I've outted myself as a Leo Sayer fan :lol: I loved his first album, the guy had a great voice and got pushed into terrible cabaret stuff. There's some of his early songs I still like though and I'm not saying sorry!!

Ah, remember the Bay City Rollers craze in those day too? Lots of girls with short baggy white trousers with tartan around the bottom and a tartan scarf tied around their wrists. I wasn't a fan of much pop really, my brother influenced me with his stuff, Neil Young, CSNY, James Taylor, Dylan and of course the first Elton album. My first gig was very poppy though - Marc Bolan and T Rex :)
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

remember the Bay City Rollers craze in those day too?
Hate to admit it but I was a fan for a very short time (I was fickle like that!). I saw them play at our local nightclub just before they hit the bigtime - I still have the ticket which cost me 75p! Those were the days!

The first concert I ever went to was at the Rainbow theatre in Finsbury Park. It was "The New Seekers" and I had front row tickets! I was only 13 but my parents took me there with my friend and picked us up afterwards. Not sure if that would happen nowadays though.....how times have changed :(
Stu

Post by Stu »

We went to Mijas last year for a day trip, it was absolutely delightful. Especially the bullring! Fond memories! I must admit I was surprised to see that names like Elton & Rod are performing there!
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

I must admit I was surprised to see that names like Elton & Rod are performing there!
Hi Stu & Syb

You went to the village of Mijas - the concert is actually being held in the "Hipodromo" which is the race course. It´s a bit confusing when I say Mijas as the area consists of "Mijas Pueblo", "Mijas-Costa" and "Mijas Golf" and the area where the race course is! :?

Linda
Stu

Post by Stu »

LOL Linda! I didn't realise it was a seething Metropolis! I thought it was just the quaint lil village thingy! I really should get out more!

Lovely part of the world though!