Does anybody out there expect to be getting enquires now?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I like Wed-Wed stays, as we live in North-East England, and my husband works on a Saturday morning. It means we can leave early on Sunday or Monday , get the Eurotunnel after 2pm ( so cheap), stop off in Champagne region, visit to Champagne house in the morning, then drive South to Beaujolais or Rhone region, before heading to our destination. It also means after our week in the Alps, we can get back home on Friday in time to collect the animals from the kennels, and stop off in Burgundy and stock up at the hypermarket on the way back. (Nice electric fridge in car). If we travel back on Saturday and Sunday, the hypermarket's closed. We've stayed in some great hotels (usually logis-de-france), b&b's and a lovely chambre d'hote where we've bought out apartment. We're currently advertising our place as Sunday changeover (many of the ski charter flights are that day), but outside of school hols, we're going to be flexible, but with a minmum of 3 nights. We may even be flexible all season, we'll see how the bookings go.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If you always operate on a Wed - Wed booking, thats fine. In high season, however, the majority of people want (or expect) Sat - Sat bookings, so that is what I provide. Oct - April, its different, but to maximise revenue May - Sept, Sat - Sat seems to work best. I may change my mind for September next year, if RyanAir offer the same cheap flights, but I have no intention of losing a weeks rental this year!
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

We're only flexible out of season, Alan - as you say, it would make no sense in season.
Best,
Alexia.
marcus

Post by marcus »

Ditto.
We haven't tried or wanted to rent out at all during October to April so far (heating costs etc, although would possibly do it now for a long let or for someone who knew they had to use the wood stove) but spring things were quiet and someone asked for a Wed to Wed May booking. They agreed to pay the rent charge of one and a half weeks for their one week, so we were quite happy. Two weeks later the enquiries for Sat to Sat in May started arriving and I'm sure we could have filled both weeks separately.

I had thought that I might get a short Sat-Wed or Wed-Sat booking from someone flying to Bergerac (close by Ryanair airport) that would fill the days leftover but it didn't happen.

Much like with late discounts I would only do it again if the time of the holiday was rapidly approaching and I thought the place would be empty for both the weeks.

Alan, FOUR parasols!! Have you had a good storm down there that passed us by? Or worse a hail storm? What we wouldn't give for a good rainstorm at the moment...
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Marcus,
Our short stay gaps were always filled by people coming from a long way away, usually by North Americans - never by the Brits.
Best,
Alexia.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Marcus,

No storms just crap parasols the frames of which broke when they were in use - opening and closing them was too much.

I made the classic mistake - I bought on price and got what I paid for.

As a permanent resident I wish we could have a really good rainstorm but no such luck. The visitors see it another way and its their holiday.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alan Knighting wrote:I bought on price and got what I paid for.
Alan! They weren't piling them high and selling them cheap, were they? :)
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

paolo wrote:
Alan Knighting wrote:I bought on price and got what I paid for.
Alan! They weren't piling them high and selling them cheap, were they? :)
I've been found out so I'll say this very quietly - Yes, they were.

Alan
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

:D Just had to have a chuckle at this!!! Do you give each sun lounger its own brolly?
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Alan,

I feel for you. I learn't a lot about eating humble pie after my daughter Emmanuelle was born. I used to have a lot to say about kids (and parents) and how they should be brought up until I had my own and quite quickly ticked off all the boxes of things not to do and swore I would never do ... after that experience I learn't to enjoy all the humble pie flavours - and many of my friends where more than ready to deservably serve me.

On the parasol, I lost one last week due to the wind but our guests where quick to ring, apologised and asked us where we bought our parasol ... within the day they replaced it with a nice equivalent that is a little bigger ... my experience is that the French make wonderful guests. If they wanted a discount for next year they will definetly get one !!!

I am thinking of starting a VIP guest club ... where my good guests (most so far) get membership and automatically get discount rights. What do others think of this idea? ... danger of course is that means some reduction in high season ... it makes investment sense as they carry less risk. I also hope it encourages return visits.

Thoughts?
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I'm doing that,as long as they book before the end of the year for next year.Time will tell.... :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise,
Just had to have a chuckle at this!!! Do you give each sun lounger its own brolly?
Not quite but almost. 10 sun loungers, 8 brollies plus 2 tables each with a brolly in the centre.

Clexane,
I am thinking of starting a VIP guest club ... where my good guests (most so far) get membership and automatically get discount rights.
I do that, sort of. Any former guest automatically gets a 5% discount. An incentive scheme or a loyalty bonus? The bookings for this season have finished up 50/50 between new bookings and repeats. Perhaps it is working.

That isn't "pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap" is it?

Regards

Alan
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Do you provide cushions for the sunloungers? I'm not sure about this.I don't because I don't think people will want stained cushions,which presumably happens quickly? All thoughts welcome on this :lol:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise,

Yes, I do. They are stain-resistant 50/50 cotton/polyester mix so are easy to clean. Don't ask where I got them, I don't remember. In colour they are "the usual suspects" - green and white stripes to match the parasols.

I'm not being patronising but it's the little extras which can make all the difference.

Regards

Alan
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

" I'm not being patronising but it's the little extras which can make all the difference. "

Yes,I wholeheartedly agree .The jury is still out for me on this one though! I am worried that my cleaner/concierge (well,next year!) will not be able to cope with yet another thing to keep spotless!!

www.thepetitmanoir.com