Self-Catering-Breaks.com

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
paolo

Post by paolo »

By the way, if you are wondering why anyone would spend money building a free site, AdSense can be a serious earner - see this article about someone who is on course to make $1 million a year from it:

[Add www. on the front] jensense.com/archives/2005/08/interview_with.html

Makes AdSense tempting for our own sites, doesn't it?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Garri

Post by Garri »

So far we have spent close to £100K on the site on a gamble that we could make it work for everyone concerned.
Incredible! I've seen some stunning sites that WORK produced for a fraction of that.

I'm not so much surprised that there's 2 sites using your server but the scb one, with its massive content, doesn't have its own dedicated server - now that is amazing!

That pop-up is definitely lazy, stupid and evil.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Great article, cheers. I've been reading about Jason Calacanis on my travels and Paul Scrivens - CEO of 9Rules. I would say that most of my internet viewing is of weblogs these days. Blogging is beginning to shape the web, or rather re-shape it, into the vision that Tim Berners-Lee originally had: the read/write web.
Makes AdSense tempting for our own sites, doesn't it?
You should experiment and put them in the forum but to make that sort of money you need world-class content - and, lots of it.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Doug,
we've just had our first booking through SCB. Worth in the region of £500! For this September, so cheers!
No complaints here. ;-)
paolo

Post by paolo »

Stu & Syb wrote:we've just had our first booking through SCB. Worth in the region of £500!
Return of £500 on an investment of £0, that's an ROI of ∞%. So it does work for some.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Garri

Post by Garri »

So it's not crap then after all.
scb

more

Post by scb »

Adsense revenue can be very good don't doubt it, but this guys has 20 sites and a huge amount of traffic

Garri.......there is a lot more to a web site than just a web site. Some how we had to contact all those owners. Someone has to run the accounts, etc etc. Hobby sites are cheap to run I would agree. This is not a hobby site.

SCB grew beyond all expectations so fast hence why it is still there.

That popup was a way to make cash....ie like renting out properties. Come on we will try things to see how they work.....this one does but not greatly.

Crap......if enquiries are crap then yes we are crap:)

Doug
Garri

Post by Garri »

Garri.......there is a lot more to a web site than just a web site.
I'm well aware of that, cheers.
Some how we had to contact all those owners.
Cold calling? Sending fake enquiries through other listings sites?
Someone has to run the accounts.
It's free though isn't it? So what 'accounts' are there to speak of other than counting your adsense revenue and paying your hosting service?
Hobby sites are cheap to run I would agree. This is not a hobby site.
Not talking about hobby sites but never mind.
scb

Post by scb »

Garri

Let us just disagree on what it costs to run a business.

Doug
Garri

Post by Garri »

OK Doug, as one business owner to another :wink:
paolo

Post by paolo »

Garri,

As we have discussed before, this site is for rental owners. It is not intended for future listing site owners to have a go at the competition. That sort of thing is best conducted off the forum.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Garri

Post by Garri »

My input on this thread is at odds with your assertion that I'm using it to 'have a go at the competition' as I have offered some constructive advice to Doug, where appropriate, and let's not forget, I am a potential user of his site from the other side of the fence - you know, a punter! One of those people who help owners get a return on their investment.

However, I can appreciate that you feel compelled to remind readers that I am working on a 'listings' site.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Garri wrote:
Some how we had to contact all those owners.
Cold calling? Sending fake enquiries through other listings sites?
This is not constructive advice, it is having a go.

This forum is not for punters either. It's for rental owners to speak to each other, and to listing site owners when appropriate. There are forums for punters, and webmasters - this is not one of them.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Garri

Post by Garri »

C'mon Paolo, balance the books and quote some of my positive advice.

My quotes were directed at Doug's remarks and his use of the word(s) 'some how'.

Yes, I am well aware this forum is for owners as we'll be renting out our house during the Olympics in 2012 - starting early to avoid the rush.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I've been away for the weekend and obviously missed a lot.

I agree that this thread is important so that owners can see everything we see about SCB (if they make it through the whole thread).

But why are we giving free advice about how to improve the site? Maybe it might help us in the long run, but I'm doing fine right now without inquiries from SCB, so I'm not desperate.

If Holiday Rentals, French Connections, Abritel, or Holiday Lets asked us to do this, what would we say? I myself would say, sure -- for a perk or reward of some kind. Not for free.

I'm serious -- if we spend our time reviewing and critiquing such a large site, what do we get out of it? I say Paolo and Lay My Hat should get a reward for providing an apparently eager pool of participants to SCB. There are a lot of people here who know a lot about SEO and site design and navigation. I normally charge for my time when providing a service to a business... what about everyone else?
Brooke