Starting to feel a bit desperate

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

NC, I'm sorry, but I think your comments were a little tactless there, and this thread is about trying to help Thomas, not anyone else.
If you've got that many bookings, then there doesn't seem a lot of point in changing things drastically on your site, does there?
But it is good to hear that pricing in euros hasn't negatively affected your bookings, so that probably isn't the reason for lack of enquiries. Maybe the fact that your property is detached and secluded means you get more bookings - privacy is very important to some people.
Thomas BC

Post by Thomas BC »

Blue Shutters wrote: I meant a "site plan" as in a simple sketch map of the buildings/gardens/pool etc, rather than a website "site plan",
That is what I thought you meant :lol:
La Vache wrote:Blimey, a non heated pool in Normandy? Maybe that is the reason for fewer bookings?
I think so too - but its not been an issue until this year if that is the reason. Which coincides with an online review that says the pool is too cold. Ironically the person who made the comment had to drag his kids out of the pool every night at 10 pm!!! Hence the FAQ NC (it only went up yesterday). Up until last year it was a matter of getting my plumber to sort the heater out for me - he said it was not essential but a luxury so I am always being shoved down the list. But now its a financial issue, unfortunately.

I am not sure I really do agree there is too much information. People do comment on it, when I do speak to them, favourably. I think it is a matter of presentation. But as its a design issue I would like to speak to GG2 before saying any more about it. The 'blog' element of the site, as I understand it, is crucial to maintaining good google ranking.

But dont worry NC, I did take your comments in the spirit in which they were intended - have no intention of going to the nearest bar - has anyone seen it :shock:

I am finding this all very helpful! I knew there was something wrong this weekend, have been thinking about nothing else, and hence the post - and thanks again for the recommendations and comments. Back to it :lol: :lol:
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

Thomas, I don't think you are doing anything "wrong" certainly not putting head in gas oven type of wrong anyway! :lol: Come back from the tabac!!

I just went back to my sewing machine, and thought of the "picture" of the front of NCs website, the bit that has stayed with me is the Your Holiday Matters and Sawdays approval, and the homeaway rent guarentee logos on the front page. Is it possible (asking LMHers in general here) that perhaps that "reassurance" is what can differentiate two very good properties in leaner times, and sway the booking one way rather than another? Another one that I think may help is taking credit cards/paypal so people are reassured their money is protected. I know commisions are a problem, I am lucky that I already have merchant services, but again it may sway a booking or ten?

Perhaps looking into "seals of approval" may bring in bookings (or I too for that matter, if I ever get a booking!)
Yes I know the shutters are not blue!
Blog
Twit Tweets
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

Another thought, people who have booked with you won't have a problem with the site, it suited them, and as we see with all the comments here, different styles suit different people. I didn't look at any agent's sites where thumbnails were too small, I am short sighted!! So your informative and photo rich site suits those that want lots of detail straight away, and others who want simplicity rush on by and you never know their impression.

As for the unheated pool, we have the same "problem" as we have an unheated pool this year, it doesn't bother "us" when we have had heated pools it doesn't seem to be that different in the height of summer to me, but then I have swum in a Scottish loch (as a child) in March. Kids will swim whatever, and a lot of adults find it too cold even when heated, I think a lot of those just don't like swimming much and use it as an excuse!! :lol: But reading here on LMH it obviously is a huge issue for a lot of people, certainly fo shoulder season. I am seriously considering if the solar rings would do the job for heating the pool a bit, and play on the "green" aspect?
Last edited by Blue Shutters on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yes I know the shutters are not blue!
Blog
Twit Tweets
Thomas BC

Post by Thomas BC »

Given that I do take my payments through Paypal, and that I am also on OD, I should be extolling the benefits (security/protection - an important issue in these times) of these as NC and no doubt others do.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

la vache! wrote:NC, I'm sorry, but I think your comments were a little tactless there, and this thread is about trying to help Thomas, not anyone else.
If you've got that many bookings, then there doesn't seem a lot of point in changing things drastically on your site, does there?
Oops! :oops: Reading it back it does come across a little tackless, sorry Thomas!
I was rushing to finish it before leaving for the school run, so didn't read it back properly - slapped wrists.

LV you are right, I started changing my website a couple of months ago when I was panicking because of all the doom and gloom in the papers, and it looks like I needn't have done so after all as I've done OK without even making the amended site live yet.

But the point I was trying to make was that
a) my old website was done before I really spent any time on SEO tweaking, and
b) Thomas' is done very much with SEO in mind.

So if we both redesigned our websites to be an amalgamation of the two, ie the good bits from mine and the good bits from his (but both SEO'd) - there should be no stopping us - we could be the market leaders in our area! :lol:
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thomas, You have our sympathy, We are also looking down the barrel of a gun, we have 8 weeks booked, ( one of them looks iffy) Normally it would be around 20 odd by now, if things dont pick up smart-ish I seriously don't know how we are going to put food on the table, all I can say is that thank God we don't have a mortgage on our boat or house.

I shall carry on with my head in the sand and try find a few more jokes :roll:
Cheers
PC
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thomas BC wrote:Which coincides with an online review that says the pool is too cold. Ironically the person who made the comment had to drag his kids out of the pool every night at 10 pm!!!
Kids will swim in any temperature, it is when the poor adults have to get in with them at 23°C or under that there can be a problem! But as long as you make it clear on the site that it isn't heated, I don't think people should complain.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Hi Thomas
As I haven't finished my own website yet you can take my comments with a pince of salt.
I do like the colour scheme and general layout but;
Is the main purpose of your website to advertise your gites / B&B or articles, as it needs to concentrate on one.
What is your target market? It is difficult to tell from your home page as nothing really sticks out.
Personally I think that the main narrative is too far down the page and loses its effect.
With the lights on in the pictures it tells me that they are dark with little natural light.
There is a lot about the area and things to do away from the gite suggesting there isn't much to do when there.

Jamie
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

la vache! wrote:
Richard D wrote:Also your site is only in English but you're pricing in Euros. I think really if you're going to price in Euros then you would benefit from having a French version of the site.
Interesting viewpoint, why??
Simple statistics LV - even with very little in the way of SEO the French version of our site is receiving nearly twice as many hits as this time last year while the English pages are down by about 30%. I think that by not having any of the information in French at all, Thomas is cutting out a potentially valuable source of bookings.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I thought you meant that UK guests wouldn't pay in euros.
But I agree, were it not for French bookings (and a few from other nationalities, notably Irish) and an lot of repeat UK guests, my availability calendar would be a lot more available than it is.
Fingers crossed for a really wet summer in the UK this year!
Thomas BC

Post by Thomas BC »

Homepage now altered - needs a bit more work, but its late. E.g. will link from the headers/images to appropriate pages.

I take on board various comments about photos (lights, no children, etc.) but I have to make do with what I have until can get to take more over the next few days (and later for garden shots).

Thanks again for all comments.

More changes to follow.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Thomas, what a difference - I think it already is a vast improvement! Well done!
HenryG

Post by HenryG »

Hi Thomas,

This is my (radical) view and I truly mean well. People often mistake property websites with a holiday brochure, a booklet; a tour guide rich in information.

IMHO, this is a big mistake. They should re-work the website to be just one thing: an advert. And a very efficient one.

Work with the "advertisement" principle: constraint of information

Work also with the "inverse pyramid principle": start with main points first.

Search and read articles on "Writing for the Web"

Here are a few:

http://www.mnforsustain.org/student_wri ... tegies.htm
(also leads to other articles)

http://www.sun.com/980713/webwriting/

First cut out all printed adverts you have submitted to any magazine or local newspaper and study them. You won't believe how precious they are. They represent basically what you wanted to transmit across all along but efficiently.

The constraint of being charged per word forces us to convey the most vital info first on printed ads.

But there is a hidden constraint on the web too: Time and Impatience. Most people do not read web pages they scan often rushedly.

Deliver the vital information - first and foremost. There is no fixed ruled. So prioritise the most important units of information in strict order. Then go about laying them. What is the selling point? The price? Some niche? The location? It's like being offered a 4 minute pitch on a Holiday Channel.

Lastly, set yourself this exercise:

Suppose you are given a free 2 page spread advert on a popular Sunday newspaper. Use that as your constrained model and build your advertisement there, then use that as an information-template to summarise the information and text on your site.

Your site has 76 pages. Each page roughly 700 words.

But I have a strong feeling a property site might be more efficient at an average of 12 pages with roughly 300 words or less.
Thomas BC

Post by Thomas BC »

Hi Henry
Many thanks for your considered comments. I agree my site is overwhelming. By way of explanation, for discussion not defense, I feel I am up against two issues here (I am sure other LMHers are in a similar boat.

1. I have gites and B&B on offer - for various reasons I have opted for one as opposed to two websites. I would love to hear from anyone else who has both B&B and self catering and advertise these on one website - and see what you have done. I am sure you exist, and perhaps I should know of you :oops: but I dont :)

2. The principle behind the website model/design chosen by GG2, as I understand and have interpreted it (I am very definitely not abdicating any responsibility for the website as you and potential punters see it) is to use a 'blog' for SEO purposes. (There are various threads on here discussing that so I wont go into that now).

So this explains why so many pages - I add pages regularly. So not only do I have the standard website with the basic set of pages advertising my gites and B&B (your 12 pages I think), I also have a blog (which gets added to regularly to keep my site up there). There are LMHers who have both a website and a blog, but have chosen to keep them separate.

I am in the process of cutting down the verbiage on each page - keeping it short and sweet and relevant, and using the blog for information that is more supplementary.

The principle behind my blog is to provide information on Basse Copette, the area, forthcoming events in the area. From feedback so far, those that 'get it' like it, and benefit. But I feel from the comments here (and the lack of enquiries from the good search engine generated traffic I am getting), those that 'get it' are few and far between - and this is my fault: because of presentational problems. This is what I am attending to now.

Thomas
On a lighter note, and definitely a joke: In defense, I am an academic ... we like words :lol: :lol: