Themed Children's Room?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Blue Shutters

Themed Children's Room?

Post by Blue Shutters »

...don't worry, not Disney Princess Florida Villa style themed rooms (nothing wrong with them for Florida just not in France...unless we were near Paris, which we are not :lol: )

We have a children's bunk room that does not have it's own window, at first I immediately said we were knocking out the partition to the window and making it back into the walk through room (possibly adding a second staircase at a later date). I thought about it and decided to keep it as it is. There is an opening above the door that I will add framed mossie netting to. Thus the room can be totally bug free, and it will keep it cool and dark so there is some chance of children sleeping in the light bright evenings. There is also a ceiling fan.

But to make it appealing I am going to make it into an underwater/seaside themed bedroom. I have ordered a wallpaper underwater tropical fish mural (10ftx8ft ) to go on the end wall for impact as you walk in, plan on painting the rest of the room pale blue or yellow, and light laminate floor. I have some bright stripey duvet covers from IKEA, some fishy themed voile netting to artistically "drape" and dug out some yellow curtains with shells on to dress the "opening" and make some big cushions. Lastly a couple of Fish scatter rugs (now these were a lot, about £3 each in IKEA!) to throw over the floor. The aim will be not to be off puting to teens either, so not too childish.

I am hoping that the distinctive "photo" will be another attraction to get the children of any potential renters to pester to stay "in the one with the fishy bedroom and big pool" and make a positive out of the negative aspect that the room doesn't have it's own window. Now I hate pester power generally, but find that sort relatively harmless and everything else being equal may take account of the children's views (as a holidaymaker).

I see Jimbo has a lovely Jungle Book themed room in one of his gites, but I havn't seen any other "theming" in European rentals. Will it make no difference what so ever, or be seen as naff by purists? I hasten to add that the rest of the house will not be similarly treated!
Yes I know the shutters are not blue!
Blog
Twit Tweets
goosie

Post by goosie »

we have a small child's bedroom which we've added winnie the pooh characters to with wall stickers. I think that as long as the room is gender neutral then it is lovely - and children love it so parents tend to too! I can't wait until your house is ready - we may well be booking! :lol:
J&J

Post by J&J »

I think it's a lovely idea and will suit the style of happy family holidays.
In each of our gites we used to put fluffy toys, lego, children's books, beanie cushions etc in the small bedroom and they were well received - just be warned, some bits and pieces, (even bedding), do disappear, maybe as souvenirs or comforters in the car. Also, there can be a lot of musical bed playing, and quite often mum or dad (even grannie!) would end up sleeping in the bunk bed perhaps to soothe a child, so just make sure the bunks are standard size and that an adult would feel comfortable in the room too.
Not to put you off, but having worked with children for so many years I know that character wallpaper and murals often arouse an irresistible urge to colour in bits and pieces, so hide the felt tips or have one of those rub off pads ready on cleaning day!
I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of a window because as you say the decor will make the room bright and cheerful. Can't wait to see a photo.

Judith
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
Ju

Post by Ju »

I on the other hand would worry about the lack of a window. In many places if it doesn't have a window it isn't a bedroom.

It is bad enough having a bathroom without a window, but a bedroom! If nothing else it is a risk in terms of fire - ie escape routes.

Could you not put in a velux? We do have several bedrooms with veluxes and they are really bright and airy.

The other thing to bear in mind is that bedrooms are not just for sleeping. Children often go into their rooms to read a book or play with their toys, even on holiday. If it has no window then they probably won't use it during the day.

I have no problem with theming the room, however if it is themed and has bunk beds then you need to be careful advertising "sleeps 12" when in reality it sleeps 10 + 2children.

Sorry to be harsh.

Ju
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Ju wrote:
It is bad enough having a bathroom without a window
Oh dear, quite a few of of my bathrooms haven't got windows! And those which have usually have the blinds drawn on them 90% of the time as guests don't believe that the opaque glass is opaque.
But I agree, I wouldn't feel happy about a bedroom without a window, but I have groups of adults stay who are happy to use a bunkbed, they are the same size as single beds after all. I don't advertise them as + 2 children in any of my gites and have never had a problem, I wasn't aware there was a law against it.
J&J

Post by J&J »

Sorry, I'm getting confused now. From looking at your website I can see you have two sets of bunk beds in the room, so Ju is right it will become a bit of a play area necessitating some natural light for reading, playing gameboys etc. In the blurb on bedrooms I assumed ceiling light actually meant velux roof openings and you speak about being able to keep the room shuttered (?) in which case I would be happy.
It's difficult to picture it when you can't see the place for real!

Judith
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

It could have a downside not having a window , one of our kids bedroom did not have a window until we fitted a velux. The main problem during the summer was the heat, even though it had a fan the room was horrible at night and also smelly
Nessie
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've just looked at the floor plan and I think house sleeping 12 is quite a lot for 4 bedrooms. I only have one set of bunkbeds in a small 6th bedroom, I think having 3 sets of bunkbeds, one of those being in a room room with a double and a single bed isn't going to attract the 'luxury' market you want. If I went with another couple or worse, 2 couples, I'd really feel like I'd drawn the short straw if I ended up in the room with 3 kids!
I think you could ask the same rental with getting rid of a few beds and sleeping fewer people, 8, for example.
And I agree with Nessie, two of the bedrooms in my own house have veluxes and get really hot in the summer, they have to be open,even here in Brittany!
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

I agree about the room being darker..........and my first reaction was it "had" to have a window. There is good ventilation through the large gap above the door.

We are advetising as 8-12, and with the room plans people can see the arranements to see if they suit them. The bunks are full size....

So everyone has highlighted all our concerns........a velux may be a possibility next year, but we will see.

Thanks!
Blog
Twit Tweets
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Blue Shutters wrote: We are advetising as 8-12, and with the room plans people can see the arranements to see if they suit them. The bunks are full size....
Our of interest, what are you going to advertise on the listing sites? Sleeping 8 or 12?
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

la vache! wrote:
Blue Shutters wrote: We are advetising as 8-12, and with the room plans people can see the arranements to see if they suit them. The bunks are full size....
Our of interest, what are you going to advertise on the listing sites? Sleeping 8 or 12?
12......and hopefully the floorplans, room descriptions etc will enable people to make up their minds if it suits them.

If someone searches for 8 then it will come up for them anyway......and if three families want to keep costs down, and have children in the same room as adults then they can do that too. The extra beds give added flexibility.....two families of 6 could fit in fine, with all the children from each family havng their own room and bed (family bedroom and children's bedroom) whilst both pairs of adults have their own rooms all well away from each other and the children!!

...and no problem with 8, then it's two to a room. Just trying to offer lots of flexibility!
Blog
Twit Tweets
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

Firstly, apologies for committing the sin of ressurecting a clearly dormant thread...

However, the window issue raised in the middle of the thread is interesting as here in the southern part of the med, near Africa and subject to a lot of heat - most windows remain shuttered closed throughout the day to keep the sun and heat out and keep the buildings cool. Its almost a cultural thing here and makes most towns and cities feel very quiet on the street. But look down the side streets and you'll see windows opening onto cooler shaded Courtyards inbetween buildings - with no real view.

As a child it riled me that many houses, shops and so on were dark in the daytime, but knowing how uncomfortable trying to sleep in a hot house is in the middle of summer, we tend to advise our guests to keep the window shutters pulled to or only slightly open when the sun is on those parts of the building. Fortunately, back in the 1970s my father and uncles built Villa Anna on a particular orientation so as to maximise sun to the gardens and not the windows/interior.
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

Interesting Don, and not a single person said anything about lack of windows in that room last year, the mozzie netting at the opening and fans kept it cool enough and it was a hot summer last year!
Blog
Twit Tweets