Knee Problem..

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Sue Dyer

Knee Problem..

Post by Sue Dyer »

Anyone had a knee cartlidge operation?? I've had an achy sore knee since about March and put it down to arthritis. Visited the G.P and she said the same. I was referred and the consultant pressed and twisted my knee and I nearly went thru the roof! He said it was a torn cartlidge. I had an MRI last Friday and waiting for the results but I've been warned to expect an operation. My look of alarm must have been severe as the consultant said it would just be keyhole surgery.

Anyone else had this op and would like to reassure me? The MRI was scary enough and I'm not claustrophobic!!

(see, I'm all over the place, I posted this in the "France" section at first :roll: )
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

I have had this done on both knees. It is quite a quick and relatively low pain ordeal.

You will go in and be out in short time. They will put you under so enjoy that great wake up - you will never feel this rested in real life!

My advice is get to the bathroom within the first hour of wake up as they will put a pain block in your leg and you will be wondering what the fuss is about. That will be your last easy visit for 24 hours.

Basically you will feel very sore in the knee area as they will pull your muscles to get in there - so basically you have a collection of pulled muscles around your knee. Before you panic there is no ongoing sharp pain. It is just very sore but really not that bad. Don't move and you feel little. Problem is they encourage you to get up and about - apparently its better. I recommend this advice for day two with a little bending exercise on day one (I am a veteran patient not a doctor :? )

One week hobbling about, in two weeks you will be 90% back - just dont run a marathon for a few months.

Good luck and let us know how you go.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I had surgery on my right knee in high school, and my brother recently did too. We're both athletic but inherited a family knee issue that makes us prone to injury.

My surgery started as an arthroscopy (the keyhole kind), and when they got inside and had a look around they discovered various damage that required them to make a large cut across the knee. So my recovery was not that fast, and as an additional plus I had severe scar tissue problems with the big scar, so I was in a lot of pain for about 2 weeks, and the physical therapy was excruciating. However, all of that was a special case that the doctors said is very rare -- lucky me.

My brother had no such scarring, had only the arthroscopy, and he was walking without crutches within two weeks. After witnessing what I went through, he was terrified, but he flew through recovery and had very minimal pain (he took ibuprofen, whereas I was on codeine).

So, a bit of both extremes there -- if it's as the doctor says you'll be the pleasant side of it! :)
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

thanks!!

Things aren't helped at the moment as I work on the 3rd floor of an old building, there's no lift and the stairs are very steep. I'm the receptionist too, on the top floor - go figure that one out. :roll: I also have a steep climb up from my quayside office into town every day so anything which helps longterm would be great! I was actually relived when the doc said something was up, I'm sure my hub thought I was shamming my way out of long hikes. (Just cos I don't like climbing hills)

I think I probably did the damage hauling boxes of maps around the place so that's stopping. I don't think I'll be hobbling up those flights of stairs for a week or two after the op, I know I've read that stair climbing is good physio but there's a limit! If I get time off after the op I plan a "Lord of the Ringsathon" where I watch all 3 movies one after another, sad, eh?
Stu

Post by Stu »

It's a common thing, Sue. I've had arthroscopy on both knees now. Basically, my cartilidge sheared leaving bits floating around, so I couldn't straighten my legs! very painfull! they still ache after lots of exercise, and I can't sit on bended knees anymore, but apart from that, I still hurtle 'round the badminton court on a regular basis!

It WILL make a vast difference to your life, trust me!

Good luck, and like has been said, enjoy the anaesthetic! Sheer bloody BLISS!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Thanks!! If we ever have a convention you'll be able to spot all of the Lay My Hatters as the ones hobbling along :lol:

I had a hideous op on my sinuses once, I guess nothing could be as bad as that so fingers crossed!
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Given your workplace it looks like your up for some sick leave, now that what I call free vacation time 8)

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Dodgy knee update.

I got the results of my MRI scan and it's not a torn cartildge and a simple operation. I don't know if this is the condition but the consultant wrote down "Retropatellar" and said the cartildge is wearing underneath my knee cap. Apparently the condition makes walking up stairs and slopes painful (as if I didn't know!) I breezed in expecting to be referred for a quick fix but he said I'll need weekly physio for 6 months and I have to consider changing jobs because of the stairs if my knee doesn't strengthen in the next few months :( I love my job too!!!

Still, it is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things and I'm sure it will work out. Thanks for everyone who offered advice etc. Sue

Oh, the good thing for anyone who knows Newcastle (Alan etc) is there is now a bus from the quayside into town so I'll not have to crawl up the hill daily. :)
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

It will definetly pay to get a second opinion. It took three doctors before my knee problem was properly diagnosed.

Call me a cynic but I rate doctors advice and knowledge somewhere around politicians. Seen too many mistakes and errors from that lot in my time all with no where near enough accounability.

Up to you but I would definetly double check any advice that has that much riding on it.

www.villaemmanuelle.com
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

"Call me a cynic but I rate doctors advice and knowledge somewhere around politicians."
Clexane, wait until you find yourself in a French clinic (to be avoided at all costs - insist on a university hospital in France). You won't apologise for being a cynic, and you'll be accused of being too kind.
Best,
Alexia.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I remember when I broke my wrist on my first ever ski trip to Courchevel. The doc at the local surgery x rayed it, saw it was broken then sent me around to the pharmacy with a prescription for my plaster cast materials!!! Mind, I was seen, x rayed and had the cast on in just over an hour. That would be a whole days worth at an NHS clinic in the UK.

I'm seeing my knee consultant privately but I guess that doesn't guarantee results, I'll wait and see what the physio says next week as I was a bit alarmed at his grimness.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Alexia,

I am surprised and disappointed to hear that you have had bad personal experiences with health service clinics in your part of France.

Joan and I have both used the cardiac department in the main hospital in Villeneuve-sur-Lot. Both of us found that the speed, efficiency and standard of care quite beyond belief compared with the UK. We have no experience of clinics but many friends have and they say the same about them. Perhaps these standards vary from region to region and we are amongst the lucky ones?

My overall reaction is that I am not surprised France was rated as number 1 in the world by the World Health Organisation.

Alan
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Alan,
We have had uniformly good experiences with public health in France.
Private clinics don't have the resources of course, and their motivations are not quite the same.
We had a very bad experience when we were directed to a (private) clinic soon after our arrival in France and we have seen too many cases of poor care in various clinics since to want to use them.
I think we are in agreement: if you need health care in France, you will be well treated in a big public hospital.
Best,
Alexia.
tansy

Post by tansy »

we had a friend on holiday with us with a heart problem - he got very concerned and anxious so my husband took him into St Lo...when our friend went back to the Uk with all the tests etc they did on the spot here in France his consultant raised an eyebrow and said....errmmm slightly different to here - you would have had to wait 6 weeks for all these tests and results in the UK...it was a matter of 3 hours here!

I love the fact here that you go to see someone and get the results there & then..not spend 6 weeks waiting!

The forecast for France is gloomy though - they haven't as many dr's in training so there is concern that things won't be so good in another 5-10 years.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Alexia,
I think we are in agreement: if you need health care in France, you will be well treated in a big public hospital.
No doubt about it, we are in agreement. I don't see the point of private health care in France. It doesn't appear to offer anything when compared with the public sector.

Tansy,

My younger brother and I both have pace-makers. My whole process took 20 hours from start to finish in France, his took 9 months in the UK. On top of everything else, I got wine with my meals - he got whine with everything.
The forecast for France is gloomy though - they haven't as many dr's in training so there is concern that things won't be so good in another 5-10 years.
The concern may be well founded or it may be the usual desire to belittle the excellent and denigrate the successful. If the effect is to bring the French system down to the level of the UK system we should indeed feel gloomy.

In the meantime, I will continue to benefit from the world's number 1.

Regards

Alan