Viruses

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Alan Knighting

Viruses

Post by Alan Knighting »

Am I alone in this?

I am not complaining but I haven't knowlingly been hit by a virus since before Christmas 2004. I use Norton AntiVirus and AVG and update definitions on a daily basis.

On the other hand, not a day goes by without some sort of spam or scam arriving and every time I download anything it has spyware attached.

The "hackers" seem to have found other things to play with.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I find it lucky if I can get Norton to work. It came ready installed on my desktop and laptop. I paid for the service once the freebie bit had ran out. I find the live update corrupts and you get a list of instructions Bill Gates would find it hard to follow. They tell you to uninstall then reinstall, telling them it is part of the system they tell to to completely reinstall everything!! That's 3 computers I've had it happen on. Oh, it doesn't do schedulled scans either, I have to do them manually - not paying for Norton again!!

AVG rocks though!!
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

McAfee is my posison of choice.

Alan perhaps you are not surfing the right web sites for the Viruses :twisted: if your missing them.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Sue,

I think AVG is everything Norton is not - it's simple, it updates definitions in a flash and its free.

Better profile picture.

Clexane,

I'm not missing them at all, I just don't get them anymore.

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Sue,

Nice avatar! :)

I have Norton Internet Security and had to reinstall it once because the liveupdate of the anti-spam components was corrupted. There were several other strange things about my Windows partition, so I did a system restore and reinstalled NIS and it works brilliantly now.

I agree -- nowadays viruses don't seem to be en vogue. It's more spyware/adware, and also worms that just attack your computer by trying every IP address known to man rather than waiting to be sent via e-mail.

Are there any real differences between Norton and McAfee? I've never been able to discern any major ones.
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Brooke, re avatar, thanks!! I'll post the full pic in the cafe as it is with someone I went to see in Vegas!!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've stopped using IE and use Firefox instead, no spyware.
janskov

Post by janskov »

Same with me. I only use firefox now, but even with that I get some spyware. I run Ad-Aware SE at least every week to clean up.
I hope you all use a firewall in addition to antivirus. I use Zone Labs because it is recommended bu my company and I know that there are other options "out there" that is just as efficient - and free.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I use Zonelabs too, and AVG, I occasionally find one bit of spyware but I think thats 'cos kids use Messenger a lot.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I must now put in a plug for Linux. It has its drawbacks, but spyware is most certainly not one of them. I surf carefree. :)
Brooke