Seasonal Rates

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Musetta

Seasonal Rates

Post by Musetta »

so...as you all know ;-) I had no clue what the response would be when I started renting the NJ house last May...set a weekly rate and a higher one for the Christmas period (because I know it is busy with shoppers in NY...and my heating costs are astronomical for that week!)

I feel I have been very lazy...well...not really...needed a year to makes sure the price was in line really...but...have yet to set seasonal rates and I don't know where to start!

How many would you put? I like simple...so thinking just High, Regular and Low?

July booked up first...then Aug. (but lost two weeks with a cancellation and now still left with one...then June (have one week left) So? guessing those should be "high" rates? Also, got multiple enquiries for the holidays...i.e. Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day - make those high as well?

Spring has been ROTTEN...barley any bookings aside from long-weekends and Easter :-( (this was a surprise), so middle or low Spring rates? (March-May?)

Fall, last year booked up...but...no idea if this year will be the same or not (last year, lots of last-minute for Sept. and Oct.)

So...thinking of keeping "regular" rate as it's been? and adding high and low maybe? My Christmas rate is $400/week higher than my regular and it seemed to go over fine...keep that one? use that rate for summer too?? What are the usual differences in seasonal rates?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
declanja

Post by declanja »

I think one way of deciding your rates would be to check on your previous bookings,- why they came when they did. Is it for shopping, the weather, an event, etc ? You may be able to identify peaks in that way. Another option (lazy) would bo check rates of other similar accommodation or hotels in your area and follow them.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

yes, thanks :-) I know...a bit of commons sense, huh? ;-) I think I will go by my own bookings thus far since there's the other HRs do not seem to follow a pattern really.
Thanks again.