Harry Who??!!

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

His books are always on there just do a search for Darren Shan. We have given a complete signed set to my sons School and asked them to hold on to them until the film comes out so hopefully in year or two they will rake some pounds in. Talking about his School he got his report today (hes 6 and in year 1) the report says he is above average in literacy and science and a year ahead in Maths. I am so proud of him blubber blubber. The best part of the report though was that his teacher said he is thoughtful kind and gentle and an absolute joy to teach....To hear that makes all those sleepless nights and endless worries pale into insiginificance.
Always Learning
fee

Post by fee »

My nearly 17yr old queued at midnight with 3 of her friends at the WHS to get the book. They were thrilled that the staff had dressed up, and went back for a readathon. Didn't care if it was more in WHS than elsewhere - the important thing was to have the book in their grubby mits asap!

She finished it yesterday morning (we dragged off to Hyde Park for an REM concert on Saturday afternoon) and was almost in tears, abolutely distraught about what happened.

Now she can't wait for the next one and spent the last month since her GSCEs reading the other ones.

She's not a great reader so anything that gets these children reading!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Now that I have finally finished the new Harry Potter book, I can finally allow myself to read this thread!

My husband reads various message boards on other topics, and apparently some a@$#(^!@ posted the main spoiler of the book on a subject line of a new thread! So he has known the ending of this book all along. Thank goodness he didn't tell me! He is now reading it, so I have to be sure not to tell him any of the other details.

I think J.K. Rowling is doing it exactly right -- it started out as a kids' book series, but as the original kids who read her first book are getting older (and as the kids in the story get older), the plots get more mature and things seem more real. When I was growing up, it seemed like in the books I read and movies I saw, everything turned out happy in the end. There were no serious upheavals. The idea of a series like Harry Potter, with a tortured main character and a world where people are really not safe, would not have been thought acceptable. I could probably have used a book or two like that when I was a kid.

I'm completely unashamed of devouring HP books. To me, the only thing that makes it a children's book is the big font size. I can't wait until the next one! And I'll be happy to read books from any other authors who are keeping the standards high.

As an aside, the books are even better for kids because it helps them learn vocab. People's names, the names of spells, objects, etc., all have roots in greek and latin that help kids recognize similar-meaning vocabulary (e.g. lumos as a light-producing spell). It means I can wholeheartedly endorse HP as a series of books for my tutoring students to read! Though, there are few who haven't already read the series. :)
Brooke
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I bought it this week in Uk and I'm just about to start reading it- can't wait!!! Trouble is- I really think I need to re-read all the others as I've forgotten lots of what's gone before! Oooh,do you have HUGE price variations in US shops? I saw it at loads of different prices and bought it at Asda in the end for £7.46,quite a reduction from the published price. :P Do the book prices vary so much in other countries generally?
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

re book prices. I remember when they weren't allowed to discount them, they always sold at cover prices so I found it hard to afford new books. I just couldn't bring myself to pay £17 for a hardback now that I know I'd read within one or two days.

I tend to get new hardback from Costco cash and carry on release for anything from £7 - £10 when the full price is around £17. I'm a real quick reader and then put them straight onto ebay as a Buy it Now for £10 which includes postage and I get something back that way. Only books I really keep are Tolkein, Steinbeck, Harry Potter and a few other favourites. I'd need a warehouse to store everything I've read.

I've mentioned a book place in Alnwick near here before (Alnwick Castle is Hogwarts in the films!!) It is called Barter Books, they give you about half of the cover price for books you take in and you spend your account on buying second hand books from them. I take my run of the mill paperback there that I know won't ebay - I have about £170.00 on my account at present!!! Places like that are worth seeing out if you're a reading addict like myself.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I'm sure I would be a reader like that if I had the time to read... but I had to make space in my schedule just to read Harry Potter!

They do mention various parts of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in the new book, so I was really glad that I had read it again.

In the US bookstores are allowed to discount hardback books, but as far as I know they don't usually discount it by much. I paid nearly full price for the convenience of having the book shipped to me (I pre-ordered it on Amazon), but I heard that Wal-Mart was selling it for $14, and Costco probably has it for much less ($10 would be my guess). Costco is a great place to buy hardback books!
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I'll have to try out my UK Costo card next time in the U.S, see if that is allowed and get double the bargains, probably not though :( They are really good at getting mainstream book releases in on the first day.
Ju

Post by Ju »

soodyer wrote: I'd need a warehouse to store everything I've read.
I know what you mean, but unfortunately some sort of moral code has been instilled in me that books aére sacred. As such I never sell them or give them away. My house is full to the brim, and our three properties (yes the third one is now finished and open) are also full of books.

I do read alot of books more than once, mainly because I read so quickly I have to, otherwise I would be broke. But I do have a problem with what to do with books I didn't like. Should I put them into the rental properties? Or would that send the wrong message? (ie. I put all my crap book here because I don't care). My husband hate it when I put the likes of Daniel Steel and Jeffrey Archer in the holiday houses but I think they are low brow stuff that people like to read on holiday.

What do you like to read on holiday? What kind of books would you like to find in a rental property?

Ju

PS. I have now bought and finished the new Harry Potter but am not allowed to discuss it as hubby is reading it as I type.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

What do you like to read on holiday? What kind of books would you like to find in a rental property
For what I like to read - A good crime novel floats my boat. I've tried "chick lit" but find it too predictable and doesn't hold my attention. A book about a good old serial killer, now that's got me :) Michael Connelly, Robert Crais, Ian Rankin and the more lightweight Sue Grafton "alphabet" novels are favourites of mine. I can't get away with British crime novels, they seem to lack the excitement of U.S detective and crime stuff for me. I have a cross section in the rental, the usual suspects like Maeve Binchy, Dick Francis and any others former guests have left. I guess they might not like my high body count fiction for light holiday reading!!

I have now decided that life is too short and if I can't "get into" a book after one or two tries I just give up on it. I've stopeed feeling guilty for buying something and not reading it (Captain Correlli's Mandolin & Dan Brown's Digital Fortress!).

If you need to get rid of any books have you seen www.bookcrossing.com ? You label books and leave them around for people to find. If you're lucky they will log their find on the net. Also, it lists where you can find books in all sorts of odd places. Once you take the plunge and have a big clear out it is easier next time.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

A friend of mine gave me a load of books (including many good childrens books) which all went in the houses, apart from Danielle Steele, which I have to say I burnt (too embarassed that guests would think I had bought them originally). I don't have much time to read, but I like everything by authors Bill Bryson, John Grisham, Kathy Reichs & Patricia Cornwell (crime & pathology genre), Jilly Cooper too - boringly enough, all established authors, I rarely go back to the UK or read British newspapers so am very out of touch with what's new! Searching for books on the internet is not nearly as good as browsing real books in a bookshop in Britain, one of the things I do miss living here in France.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

This is slightly off-subject, but as I leave a lot of children's books for visitors I wonder if anyone has read Francesca Simon's Horrid Harry books? I only mention this because I met Francesca a couple of days ago - had never heard of her books, as our children are past this age range - does anyone know the books?
Best,
Alexia.