Tall Ships

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Sue Dyer

Tall Ships

Post by Sue Dyer »

I'm proud to say we have the Tall Ships Race in Newcastle for the third time this coming week. Just been down to the quayside and there's only 2 larger ships and a couple of smaller ones in but they're still looking lovely. The river Tyne is such a great great berth for them with our world famous bridges as a backdrop. Yes, I'm bursting with local pride!!!

Anyone else had the Tall Ships in their neck of the woods?

Photos to come!!
A-two

Re: Tall Ships

Post by A-two »

soodyer wrote:Anyone else had the Tall Ships in their neck of the woods?
Sue,
Lucky you! Last year, we had the American Tall Ships Challenge here in Greenport, 10 minutes away, and really enjoyed seeing them all. It was all too brief, but I do still see H.M.S. Bounty regularly, whose home port is also Greenport.

Originally, MGM Studios built Bounty in 1960 in Nova Scotia. The studios used the ship on location in Tahiti to film the 1962 version of Mutiny on The Bounty, starring Marlon Brando, and later sailed it around the world to promote the movie.

It's been privately owned by a Long Island company since 2001, and they spent $1.5 million refurbishing it. Tall Ships are very expensive to upkeep and although Bounty is a working ship, takes paying passnegers and travels a lot, I know there is talk of moving it to Mississippi ...... :cry:

As luck would have it, Bounty was tapped last winter to star in Pirates of the Caribbean II. (Quite fitting that it was saved by pirates).

If anybody is heading this way, it will be at Pier 63 in Manhattan from July 30 to 31, then at Port Jefferson on Aug. 5, then home in Greenport on Aug. 6 and 7, and again from Aug. 24 to Aug. 27. The 420-ton ship, which is 180 feet long including its bowsprint, sometimes carries paying passengers, and when docked, visitors can tour the boat.

Can't wait to see your photos! I will also try to find a good one of Bounty in Greenport.
Waves from America
enid

Post by enid »

Saw the tall ships in Southampton when we lived there - I'll look forward to seeing the photos.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Joanna, that's interesting about the Bounty. I still smile remembering my visit to Universal Studio's in L.A. There was a pond thing and the guide told us that it had been every major ocean in the world for various films, especially war movies. Apparently they had a ship painted as a British Royal Navy ship from one side and German colours and markings from the other side. Consequently you only ever saw the British ship sailing one way and the German the other... clever, eh??

I'm also working on a stall next week down at the Tall Ships village I work for a charity (Sustrans) and will be giving out leaflets and info on cycling and walking. Lovely to be in a marquee amongst it all than stuck in the office. 8)

I can't wait for Pirates of the Caribbean II !
tansy

Post by tansy »

I am ashamed to say they were in Chrebourg...30 minutes away - we didn't get the chance...also in Granville 45 minutes away - agai didn't get the chance....we've also had Queen Mary2 ....yes you've got it we didn't get the chance.......... :cry:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Sue,

The Tall Ships on the Tyne.

Memories of the two previous visits come flooding back!

The extra vibrancy of the city. Viewing the ships from the river while cruising and partying on the old Tyne ferryboat, the "Freda Cunningham", does it still exist? Watching from a friend's appartment overlooking the river mouth at North Shields while the ships left for their epic voyage.

Shame, I'm not going to see the third visit.

Alan
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

re the city's vibrancy. I know Alan, Newcastle has changed so much in my lifetime. The Quayside was a bit of a dead no go area when I was younger, now it can rival any continental city riverside. We drink in a pub in Byker, "The Free Trade" which must have the best view of any pub in the city - here is a photo taken from there to bring back memories for you. The cranes on the left are The Sage being built, Baltic lit up in the middle and yes, that is a real sky, not a filter!!

I'm not sure about the Freda but those Tyne ferry cruises are still popular using the Shields ferries.

Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Sue,

"The Free Trade" - my son's most favourite Tyneside watering hole.

Like you, I saw the City and the Quayside change out of all recognition. "The Baltic" I remember as being a flour mill and being on the "wrong" side of the river - ugh! it's in Gateshead.

Alan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Off to see the ships tomorrow.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Helen, call in and see me on the Sustrans Stall in the environment tent!!!! I have a name badge on. I'm sure we'll spot each other amonsgt the hundreds of thousands around :lol: Bring plenty of money, it is £2 for chips :shock:
A-two

Bounty is home!

Post by A-two »

Sue,
As promised, finally, here is H.M.S. Bounty in Greenport Village. It's Maritime Festival this weekend, and they cut the ribbon on the new marina. Bounty is home for a few days and they were using her yesterday to stage some pirate shows for the children, hence she is flying the pirate flag. I managed to get on board and take a few snaps. (You can click on the pictures to get a good size enlargement).

Image Image Image Image Image Image
The view from the deck is of Southold Bay and Shelter Island, which almost the same view we have from the beach house, although we are 8 miles further west on the bay (to the right of this picture). Lots of new boats from Connecticut in the new marina, but "sea ya", a local boat, is my favorite name so far! Greenport was buzzing with visitors, and a really lovely crowd - fun family atmosphere with lots of different food choices - fresh farm roasted corn, Boy Scouts making hot dogs, clam chowder contest, Souvlaki and mousaka for the Greek Church - live music on the village green, flea market, sailing races, and absolutely nothing tacky about any of it. The water jousting was a hoot! A local boat builder makes these kits out of plastic sheets that take 5 minutes to put together. Water jousting means punching holes in the sides of your opponents with oars! The last one afloat wins, which is usually a smart child who has hidden behind a bouy!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
I only went to take the pictures of Bounty because I realized when we were talking about tall ships in July that I didn't actually have any of her at all and this has been my first opportunity since. Now that I see the results, I'm quite excited about adding a page to my website to promote this attraction for next September, hence I've included other photos as well, to show al fresco dining, sidewalk cafes, vintage car show etc. Sorry to use this post as a working draft of the new page, but thanks very much to Sue for the motivation! Long Live LMH! If there are any photos you think I should not include, please shout out!
Waves from America