Broadband costs in Spain? Internet TV?

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Mountain Goat

Broadband costs in Spain? Internet TV?

Post by Mountain Goat »

My SIL lives in Madrid and not into IT in the slightest, but we wanted to set her up with an Internet Radio for BBC's UK progs.

Could anyone give us an idea of monthly costs for broadband in Spain? Preferably with a 'free' wireless router, but that may be unlikely.

Also, does Internet TV exist in Spain?

Thanks.

MG
brenda

Post by brenda »

We have wireless internet and telephone - Hubby listens to High Peak Radio every Saturday afternoon to follow his team. Pay €39 per month.
Last edited by brenda on Thu May 07, 2009 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Ouch, but thanks. Does that include a load of phone calls? It seems a bit expensive by UK rates in the 0 - £15 band.

I suppose the download factor has to be taken into account as well, and not a clue with radio. I'll ask the manufacturer.

Brenda, you couldn't give me a bunch of keywords for Google searching in Spanish?

MG
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

this site might be useful MG as a start point;

http://www.telefonica.es/on/

We get ours paid for by the company we work for so have no idea on cost - but its provided by telfonica.

They do have english operators on their customer service line if you needed to call them

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

That's great. Thanks, Mouse, that's everything I need to research it.

MG
Holiday Almeria

Post by Holiday Almeria »

One word, expensive!!

We have an Iberbanda connection and bought our own cable router that I bought in PC World. For a 1MB service it is €39 +iva per month, with inclusive phone calls and free router it is a bit more. Take a look at http://www.iberbandainenglish.com/ (these are agents, not Iberbanda themselves).

Mark
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Thanks, Mark

At first glance that does sound expensive, with a 6Mb connection from Telefonica at around €30/month, inc. wireless router. I'm not sure, but I would have thought Internet radio would be happier with more than 1Mb.

Still researching....

MG
alifrank1

Re: Broadband costs in Spain? Internet TV?

Post by alifrank1 »

Mountain Goat wrote:My SIL lives in Madrid and not into IT in the slightest, but we wanted to set her up with an Internet Radio for BBC's UK progs.
MG
I might have the wrong end of the stick, but I get the radio through my TV in spain. I have a digi box and can get all the BBC radio stations.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

But I guess that's Sky? She can't install Sky for tedious reasons involving her apartment's rules for roof/balcony installations.

MG
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Mountain Goat wrote:But I guess that's Sky? She can't install Sky for tedious reasons involving her apartment's rules for roof/balcony installations.

MG
Oh dear, yes it is :cry:
CSE

Post by CSE »

Yep internet connections here in Spain is very expensive. I bet you will find in Madrid that there are a lot of cable companies who supply a package. Maybe it will be a bit cheaper too, although competition here in Spain does not seemly push the price down.
Here is a small list of cable operators:
http://www.televisiondigital.es/Cable/O ... esTVCable/
http://www.ilimit.com/cecable/directorio.htm
Hopefully something here will be of use.

Should add that although some companies are listed in city X they may cover Madrid too.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.