Hard times in Spain send expats home

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Big Sis..

Hard times in Spain send expats home

Post by Big Sis.. »

http://bit.ly/lRtYC

''The sunshine lifestyle has long tempted many Britons to uproot and make a new start on the costas of Spain. But now as the Spanish economy suffers and the opportunities there dry up, many of the expats are coming home.''
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

it always makes me wonder why, once settled, people would want to uproot and come home. Those on pension incomes surely are still better of in spain as their £ based pensions are still going to go no further in the UK than they would in spain. If they can't afford to live in spain on it, they're never going to survive on the same income in the UK. Yes, spain has got more expensive generally and the euro/£ rate will have caused a drop in income but £50 on food in the UK will purchase less than 50 euros in spain.

Selling up a spanish property is not going produce sufficient funds to buy a UK one.

Those who have spanish businesses are going to find it just as difficult to find work in the UK again - it's a worldwide recession.

I think I'd rather tighten my belt in the sun than have to do it in the UK...at least a walk on the beach is free.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Marks

Post by Marks »

I couldn't agree more Nightowl. What are these people returning to? Pensions will buy even less in the UK than it does in Spain so what sort of life will they be returning to? One guy interviewed has the right attitude: "But if the worst came to the worst, if I became poor and miserable I'd rather do it in the sun."

Is this yet more Spain bashing by the UK media, ITV's two part documentary about Spain being the latest?
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.