Last night in the UK

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Stu

Last night in the UK

Post by Stu »

Well, here am I. Surrounded by emptiness. We have our bed, a radio, and this laptop. Everything else has gone....oh, we still have the kettle and a few mugs!
Our last night in our home for the past 21 years in the UK. Kids were born & raised here. I'm sad but so looking forward to our new life in France. Onwards and upwards, so they say.
Looking forward to logging on in a few days time (hopefully) to let you know how we've got on.
I'd just like to thank Paolo for a truly original and excellent website, (well done mate!) we've gained so much knowledge, information & tips from here. Hope to have shared one or two with you all too.
I'd also like to thank the regular contributors too, for all your common sense, advice and encouragement. Hope to speak again real soon.

Au Revoir Angleterre, Bonjour France.....

Bientot....
paolo

Post by paolo »

Onwards and upwards indeed. We are planning to do the same thing as you later this year and when the last night comes I think there will be some ambivalent feelings in our house. But as somebody once said, life is not a dress rehearsal (except in some religious faiths, where it is).

Good luck with your move and I may take the liberty of picking your brain in a few months, especially about all the red tape involved.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Best of luck, Stu & Syb! At least you don't need cartes de séjour
in France any more.

"life is not a dress rehearsal" - I used to say this to our teenage son a few years back. It's a great idea.
Best,
Alexia.
tansy

Post by tansy »

what red tape Paolo :wink: :? :roll: Comme la Francais ici!!!

Seriously - that last night feel is hard..but don't look back...it is hard uprooting and making a new life in a foreign country learning a new language and new friends, who to trust not to trust - even where to go for a packet of nails! - but that's why the forum here is full of folk with common sense - not everyone makes it but those that do are a special breed!

Good luck with it all - don't get stressed - just enjoy!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Good Luck Stu & Syb :)
regards Sue

p.s made the mistake of burying our much loved cat in our garden when she died, I don't think my husband would ever leave because of that!
enid

Post by enid »

Bon voyage - I know you'll love it here. I had a message on my calendar to e mail you Friday the 5th - I presume that is when you are actually moving into the new house. We wish you every happiness there. We are three years now and this really does feel like home now.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Good luck

Look forward to our fabulous stories of 'my first year in France' - keep notes it could be a best seller !!!!
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Good luck with everything!!! I remember when we spent our last night in our old-much-loved house being amazed at how clean and huge it looked!Completely empty (but for the bed and a kettle/mugs) and spotless.It didn't feel real.Onwards and upwards!! :lol:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Soberano

Post by Soberano »

The very best of luck.

Much the same as Fraise only the last night we slept on the carpet, the house was totally empty and seemed huge.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Stu & Syb,

Hope you are now arrived (or nearly so) and that things are going spectacularly well! :)
Brooke
Stu

Post by Stu »

Hi all,

well, what can we say? Many thanks for all the encouragement and kind words!
We're here! In France! Loving every single minute! The campsite's keeping us busy, as well as the two gites. We have to move out of one of the gites today, and into our caravan for a week, so it'll be just like being on holiday again!
Mum adores the place and has even taken to having the odd tipple of wine of an evening! She's making friends with the campers and she loves it! Oh, and the weather's absolutely fantastic too!
The kids are amazed by how much space they have, the safety they enjoy here.
I certainly will keep a diary of sorts, you never know, I may be competing with Peter Mayle et al....

Will check in regularly, must dash as we had our goods from the UK delivered yesterday, and the place is a mess! But at least the PC/Internet works!

Take care all, speak soon!
Renaud

Post by Renaud »

Good Luck to you!!!

Had a quick look at your web site.
Looks very nice and inviting.

And your description of your last night in your UK house certainly brought back some memories.