Leaving Spain........no regrets as home beckons.......

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Big Sis..

Leaving Spain........no regrets as home beckons.......

Post by Big Sis.. »

http://bit.ly/ncOaT Leaving Spain ''No regrets, as home beckons after the boom''
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Pedro Martín Galán said:
When someone takes the decision to leave his country, to leave behind his wife and his children, it’s a very difficult decision. What I regret is leaving my family. But I don’t feel any regret when I think of the money I sent back over the last few years.
Being a construction worker isn’t an easy life. You follow the work as it moves from country to country, disrupt your family life and risk not seeing your children grow up or you stay at home and suffer difficult times waiting for new projects to get off the ground.

I worked in Singapore with an inspector of railways, a highly skilled engineer in his 40s, commissioning a new section of their metro system. As the project was near its conclusion, I wondered what he would do next, whilst waiting for new projects to get underway. ‘Sweep up in the market like before’, he said. ‘I don’t want to leave Singapore and miss seeing my children grow, so I have no choice’. ‘It’s difficult, I must work or we will starve’. ‘But here’, he said, ‘there‘s no stigma attached to menial work, but there is disgrace in not providing for your children and parents’.

I’ve worked on two major Ecuadorian water tunnel projects in the last few years, one for providing safe drinking water and the other for hydro-electricity (to prevent Ecuador, a desperately poor country, from having to buy high-priced power from Columbia). The Brazilian contractor trained a large local workforce for each project, thereby not only providing short-term employment but leaving these workers with a legacy of marketable skills.

And rental owners are no different in having to ‘follow the work’. The current recession has been difficult for many of us.

Jim